Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General term of the sequence, if it exists

1. Mar 13, 2005 #1
    Hello. I've been having such a hard time thinking of the general term of this "Sequence". Actually, I'm not even sure if this is a sequence at all, but it looks like it can be simplified into one summation symbol.
    [tex]
    \frac{-2}{6}, \frac{-20}{120}, \frac{-1080}{5040}, \frac{-140400}{362880}, ...
    [/tex]

The denominators of every term are actually the factorials of the odd numbers starting from 3, what i can't find is the "pattern" for the numerator.

Thanks for any help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2005 #2
    There's a nice data base of integer sequences at :

http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/

that you can search.

I played around with the sequence you have given, but couldn't figure anything much out. Do you know anymore of the terms???

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  4. Mar 14, 2005 #3
    Actually, with a little tinkering I did manage to find the pattern :) I just have one question... It is related to the sequence but its not actually the sequence

is this statement true?

[tex]\prod_{n=0} (2n+1) = (1)(3)(5)(7)(9)... [/tex]

Note: The n in the "Prod" symbol tends to infinity. I dont know how to place an upper limit in the symbol XD

I'm not so familiar with the symbol, i just saw it in the HowToLaTeX FAQ and wondered if it's like the summation symbol (only it means product) :)

Thanks again for that site. It did help me in a way :)

5. Mar 14, 2005 #4
    I guess the statement is true, but it doesn't appear to be well-defined...

If you want to know how to place an upper limit:

[tex]\prod_{n=0}^{\infty} (2n+1)[/tex]

6. Mar 14, 2005 #5
    so it should be

[tex]\prod_{n=0}}^{\infty} (2n+1) = (1)(3)(5)(7)(9)(11)(13)..... [/tex]

Is it "more" well defined now?

Thanks again

7. Mar 14, 2005 #6
    No, it just seems like it's "meaningless" to talk about the product of all odd natural numbers ;)

8. Mar 14, 2005 #7
    well, yeah, it is meaningless. But when it becomes a part of a general term of a series that is a solution to a differential equation it is kinda important :)

which leads me to my last question, (which I know should be part of Differential Equations but my main focus was simplifying the general term of a series) in most differential equations books when I read their solutions they write their general term as (1)(3)(5)(7)...(2n+1) (If the need or occasion arose). My question is if it's more appropriate to write it as

[tex] \prod_{n=0}^{\infty} (2n+1) [/tex]

instead...

Thanks a bunch :)

9. Mar 14, 2005 #8

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If your general term is (1)(3)(5)...(2n+1) then you could write it as

[tex]\prod_{i=0}^{n}(2i+1)[/tex]

Note the endpoints carefully. Either one is fine as long as there's no ambiguity for what the ... represent. My preference is towards the [itex]\prod[/itex] notation as long as there are no typsetting issues.

10. Mar 14, 2005 #9
    Thanks for everything :)

11. Mar 14, 2005 #10
    An alternative notation, that is sometimes prettier, and that doesn't involve product notation:

[tex] \prod_{i=0}^n (2i+1) = \frac{(2n+1)!}{2^n n!}[/tex]

Edit: Actually, looking at your situation, this notation might lead to some simplifications too!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?