General Uncertainty Principle

In summary, you have noticed that the state before the measurement is a minimal uncertainty state for the two observables, and that the other state is inequality.
agooddog

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/306/prblem.png

(oops, that line should end with "just before measurement? (Express your answer in terms of the variances of the two operators)" )

The Attempt at a Solution

[PLAIN]http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/5214/answerm.png

Does this make sense? I know that each operator is Hermitian, so it is an observable. I also know that they are incompatible because they do not commute. So the uncertainty principle must hold. However, the wording of the question makes me question myself... it merely gives the system's state directly before the measurement. Does time dependence matter?

Also, I can calculate the deviation of each operator by themselves, and multiply them together to get the same as the other side of the uncertainty inequality. I suppose the question asks for an answer in terms of the variance of the two operators, so perhaps it is not asking me to confirm both sides.

Any insight would be appreciated.

(sorry for the odd format, I'm still learning the ropes at making equations on the computer)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
agooddog said:
Also, I can calculate the deviation of each operator by themselves, and multiply them together to get the same as the other side of the uncertainty inequality.

So, you have just noticed in this way that the state given is a "minimal uncertainty state" for you pair of observables - you have equality and it can not be any better. For position and momentum observables these are Gaussian (bell shaped) states. For spin components Sx and Sy these are eigenstates of Sz.

Knowing this what will be the other state for which you will also have equality rather than inequality? Can you guess?

Gut instinct tells me it will be ( 0 1 ) (transposed, of course)

Ah, I did not notice that these represent spins, but merely saw them as (somewhat) arbitrary operators that the Prof made up. I feel a little dumb now realizing how similar they are to the Pauli spin matrices. Although I am glad because I understand the linear algebra behind this all a bit better after struggling through that without being able to picture the physical situation in my mind.

Thanks for the quick feedback!

agooddog said:
Gut instinct tells me it will be ( 0 1 ) (transposed, of course)

Not a bad instinct!

I can confirm that your solution makes sense. The General Uncertainty Principle states that the product of the uncertainties in two incompatible observables must be greater than or equal to the expectation value of their commutator. In this case, the two observables are position and momentum, which do not commute. Your solution correctly calculates the uncertainties in these observables and shows that they satisfy the inequality required by the uncertainty principle.

As for the question about time dependence, it is not relevant in this case. The uncertainty principle holds for any state of the system, regardless of time. Therefore, your solution is valid for any state just before measurement.

Additionally, your solution is correct in terms of the variances of the two operators. The uncertainty principle can be expressed in terms of the standard deviations or variances of the observables, as you have done in your solution.

Overall, your understanding and approach to this problem demonstrate a strong understanding of the uncertainty principle and its application to incompatible observables. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the General Uncertainty Principle?

The General Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This principle was first proposed by Werner Heisenberg in 1927 and has since been a key principle in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How does the General Uncertainty Principle differ from the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a specific case of the General Uncertainty Principle. While the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle only applies to position and momentum, the General Uncertainty Principle applies to any pair of conjugate variables, such as energy and time or angular momentum and angular position.

3. What is the mathematical expression of the General Uncertainty Principle?

The General Uncertainty Principle can be expressed mathematically as: ΔAΔB ≥ ħ/2, where ΔA and ΔB are the uncertainties in the measurement of the two conjugate variables A and B, and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

4. How does the General Uncertainty Principle relate to the concept of wave-particle duality?

The General Uncertainty Principle is a manifestation of the wave-particle duality of particles at the quantum level. It states that particles can exhibit both particle-like and wave-like behaviors, and the more precisely we know one aspect (such as the position), the less we know about the other aspect (such as the momentum).

5. Can the General Uncertainty Principle be violated?

No, the General Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been verified through numerous experiments. It is a natural consequence of the probabilistic nature of particles at the quantum level and cannot be violated.