General worked out solution for diagonalizing a 4x4 Hermitian matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a general solution for diagonalizing a 4x4 Hermitian matrix and suggests using computer algebra routines like MATLAB or Mathematica. It is mentioned that the matrix being Hermitian does not simplify the process and that a block diagonal matrix may make the diagonalization easier.
Amentia
Hello,

I am looking for a worked out solution to diagonalize a general 4x4 Hermitian matrix. Is there any book or course where the calculation is performed? If not, does this exist for the particular case of a traceless matrix? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn’t Singular Value Decomposition SVD do just this?

Thank you for your answer. I have never used this method. I will have a look at it.

The general solution with "general" coefficients in the matrix would likely fill up several notebooks. Just solving for the solution to the characteristic equation, a fourth degree equation, done in MATLAB with the symbolic toolbox goes on for about 10 pages of dense combinations of coefficients.

Your best bet to see the solution would be to use a computer algebra routine, like the symbolic toolbox in MATLAB, mathematica, Maple, or something like that. Even if you could solve it in the general case, how would you use the general solution. Your best bet might be to write a program to solve for the diagonalization for user chosen specific cases for your supplied coefficients

Likes PeroK
mpresic3 said:
The general solution with "general" coefficients in the matrix would likely fill up several notebooks. Just solving for the solution to the characteristic equation, a fourth degree equation, done in MATLAB with the symbolic toolbox goes on for about 10 pages of dense combinations of coefficients.

I tried by hand at first just to see if there was some kind of simplification due to the fact that the matrix is Hermitian, but it seemed still to be complicated. Thank you for confirming it.

mpresic3 said:
Your best bet to see the solution would be to use a computer algebra routine, like the symbolic toolbox in MATLAB, mathematica, Maple, or something like that. Even if you could solve it in the general case, how would you use the general solution. Your best bet might be to write a program to solve for the diagonalization for user chosen specific cases for your supplied coefficients

I tried with Mathematica as well but I am barely using it, so I was not confident that I had simplified correctly the calculation...

So there are not even some specific cases where it is known to be simple? In one limiting case, I had block diagonal matrices and it was easy.

Amentia said:
I tried by hand at first just to see if there was some kind of simplification due to the fact that the matrix is Hermitian, but it seemed still to be complicated. Thank you for confirming it.

The matrix being Hermitian just guarantees that the matrix is diagonalizable and the eigenvalues are real. It doesn't simplify the process of finding eigenvalues or eigenvectors.

If the 4x4 is block diagonal, this simplifies the diagonalization to either a 3x3, and a 1x1, (trivial), or two 2x2's, a 2x2 diagonalization can probably done on a sheet of paper. A 3x3 "general" diagonalization would still be very difficult.

1. What is a Hermitian matrix?

A Hermitian matrix is a square matrix that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. In other words, the elements of the matrix are mirrored across the main diagonal and the complex numbers are replaced with their conjugates.

2. Why is it important to diagonalize a matrix?

Diagonalizing a matrix allows us to simplify complex calculations and make it easier to understand the behavior of the system described by the matrix. It also allows us to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, which are important in many applications such as quantum mechanics and signal processing.

3. What is the process for diagonalizing a 4x4 Hermitian matrix?

The process for diagonalizing a 4x4 Hermitian matrix involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, constructing a diagonal matrix using the eigenvalues, and then finding a matrix that transforms the original matrix into its diagonal form. This can be done using techniques such as the Gram-Schmidt process or the Cholesky decomposition.

4. Can any 4x4 matrix be diagonalized?

No, not all 4x4 matrices can be diagonalized. Only square matrices that are both Hermitian and have distinct eigenvalues can be diagonalized. If a matrix has repeated eigenvalues or is not Hermitian, it cannot be diagonalized.

5. What are the applications of diagonalizing a 4x4 Hermitian matrix?

Diagonalizing a 4x4 Hermitian matrix has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to find the energy levels of a system, in signal processing to analyze and filter signals, and in statistics to reduce the dimensionality of data. It is also used in solving systems of linear equations and in optimization problems.