How Does Generated Sigma Algebra Incorporate Intermediate Sets?

In summary: If you want to talk about the difference between two things, you need to tell us what those two things are. So, if you want to talk about the differences between ##\sigma (C)## and ##\sigma ( \sigma (C))##, you could say:What are the differences (if any) between ##\sigma (C)## and ##\sigma ( \sigma (C))##?But in this case, the answer is 0, so it's not a particularly interesting question.
woundedtiger4
Please help me in understanding Generated Sigma Algebra:
Consider S = {(H,H), (H,T), (T,H), (T,T)},
the repeated coin toss. The Sigma-Algebra generated by
C = {{(HH), (TT)}} is
σ(C) = { ∅ , S, {(HT), (TH)}, {(HH), (TT)} }

How does "(H,T), (T,H)" jumped in the σ(C) ? What is the difference between σ-algebra & generated σ-algebra? Why "(HT), (TH)" in σ(C) have been separated from "(HH), (TT)" with curly brackets?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
{(H,T),(T,H)} is the complement of {(H,H),(T,T)}.

σ-algebra is the general term. Generated σ-algebra is a specific term, referring to the smallest σ-algebra containing the generator.

woundedtiger4 said:
Please help me in understanding Generated Sigma Algebra:
Consider S = {(H,H), (H,T), (T,H), (T,T)},
the repeated coin toss. The Sigma-Algebra generated by
C = {{(HH), (TT)}} is
σ(C) = { ∅ , S, {(HT), (TH)}, {(HH), (TT)} }

How does "(H,T), (T,H)" jumped in the σ(C) ? What is the difference between σ-algebra & generated σ-algebra? Why "(HT), (TH)" in σ(C) have been separated from "(HH), (TT)" with curly brackets?

This is poorly worded. A sigma algebra is a sigma algebra, regardless of where it comes. I believe your confusion is with the generating set. ##C##. ##C## is not a sigma algebra, but there is a unique minimal sigma algebra containing ##C##, you've denoted it ##\sigma (C)##. In this sense, the sigma algebra (that you have denoted by) ##\sigma (C)## is generated by ##C##.

mathman said:
{(H,T),(T,H)} is the complement of {(H,H),(T,T)}.

σ-algebra is the general term. Generated σ-algebra is a specific term, referring to the smallest σ-algebra containing the generator.

thanks

theorem4.5.9 said:
This is poorly worded. A sigma algebra is a sigma algebra, regardless of where it comes. I believe your confusion is with the generating set. ##C##. ##C## is not a sigma algebra, but there is a unique minimal sigma algebra containing ##C##, you've denoted it ##\sigma (C)##. In this sense, the sigma algebra (that you have denoted by) ##\sigma (C)## is generated by ##C##.

what does it mean that it is "poorly worded"? I have just posted it from the text, & if you think my questions are stupid then I am trying to learn it & if I have some questions in my mind then shouldn't I clarify them? :(

woundedtiger4 said:
what does it mean that it is "poorly worded"? I have just posted it from the text, & if you think my questions are stupid then I am trying to learn it & if I have some questions in my mind then shouldn't I clarify them? :(

He didn't say that your questions were stupid. To the contrary, he is trying to help you in your understanding.

woundedtiger4 said:
what does it mean that it is "poorly worded"?

When you asked
woundedtiger4 said:
What is the difference between σ-algebra & generated σ-algebra?

One entity that you named was a sigma algebra, i.e. ##\sigma (C)##. It's a sigma algebra because the set that ##\sigma (C)## represents satisfies the sigma algebra axioms. The second entity you named, ##C## is not a sigma algebra. It's a set with no special properties. However, you can generate a sigma algebra from it by finding the smallest possible sigma algebra that contains ##C##. You chose to name this sigma algebra ##\sigma (C)## because it makes it clear that ##C## is the generating set.

You could also ask what sigma algebra is generated by ##\sigma (C) ##? You might as well call it ##\sigma ( \sigma (C))##. The answer is of course the same set, ##\sigma (C)## since it was a sigma algebra to begin with, and so, in equations, ##\sigma ( \sigma (C)) = \sigma (C) ##

FAQ: How Does Generated Sigma Algebra Incorporate Intermediate Sets?

1. What is a generated sigma algebra?

A generated sigma algebra is a mathematical concept used in probability theory to describe the collection of all possible events that can occur in a given sample space. It is created by taking the smallest possible sigma algebra that contains a set of events, known as the generating set.

2. How is a generated sigma algebra different from a sigma algebra?

A generated sigma algebra is a subset of a sigma algebra, meaning it contains fewer events. It is created by taking the smallest possible sigma algebra that contains a set of events, whereas a sigma algebra is created by taking the collection of all possible subsets of a sample space.

3. How is a generated sigma algebra used in probability theory?

A generated sigma algebra is used to define the probability of events occurring in a sample space. It allows for the calculation of probabilities for events that are not explicitly defined in the sample space, making it a useful tool in understanding and analyzing random processes.

4. Can a generated sigma algebra be infinite?

Yes, a generated sigma algebra can be infinite. This is because it is created by taking the smallest possible sigma algebra that contains a set of events, which can be an infinite number of events.

5. How is a generated sigma algebra related to measurable functions?

A generated sigma algebra is closely related to measurable functions, as they both involve the idea of mapping events in a sample space to specific outcomes. Measurable functions are used to define the probability measure on a generated sigma algebra, allowing for the calculation of probabilities for events in the sample space.