Generating programs in fortran to .dat files

In summary, the conversation discusses different options for generating a graph from a .dat file using Fortran. The suggestions include using MATLAB, other programs like Excel or R, and alternative languages like Julia and Python that can work with Fortran and have graphic capabilities.
Monserrat
I have a small problem to insert a code in fortran to generate me a graph in .dat only need to Fortran insert a command that I may run in the program of .dat

Technology news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could instead use MATLAB to read the .dat file and generate a graph for you.

jedishrfu said:
Perhaps you could instead use MATLAB to read the .dat file and generate a graph for you.
If the data can be written to a comma separated file (CSV) file, then there are a lot of programs like Excel or R that can read and graph the data. Matlab is expensive and may not be available.

There are also MATLAB clones like Octave and SciLab as well that are free but maybe not as fast with plotting capability.

And of course Julia (MATLAB syntax) or Python which together can Interoperate with Fortran and have graphic packages.

What is Fortran?

Fortran is a programming language commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It was developed in the 1950s and is known for its efficiency in performing mathematical and scientific calculations.

How can I generate a program in Fortran?

To generate a program in Fortran, you will need to use a text editor or an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) that supports Fortran. You will also need to have a Fortran compiler installed on your computer in order to compile and run the program.

What is a .dat file?

A .dat file is a data file that stores information in a plain text format. It is commonly used to store data that will be used by a program, such as input parameters or output results.

How do I write data to a .dat file in Fortran?

To write data to a .dat file in Fortran, you will need to use the "WRITE" statement. This statement allows you to specify the format of the data and the file to which it will be written.

Can .dat files be read by other programs?

Yes, .dat files can be read by other programs as long as the format of the data is compatible. However, it is important to keep in mind that different programs may interpret the data differently, so it is important to ensure compatibility or specify the format of the data in the file.