Generator / induction formulas help

In summary, the individual has a set up consisting of coils and a Faraday disc mounted on a rotor axis. The two discs are connected by a wire, creating a solenoid, and the entire setup is mounted on a rotor with a stationary stator around it. The stator coil is connected to a capacitor for AC induction. They are seeking help in calculating the current and voltage induced in the discs at both ends, as well as the b field strength in the rotor poles and output coils on the stator. They are open to providing additional information or drawings, but it is suggested that using electromagnetic field simulation software or building a prototype would be the most effective approach.
sondreL
Hi , before I ask I want to say that I have done my “ homework” I did a search on this forums and I found a few hits but I couldn’t quite understand them or the numbers turned out wrong after I did my calculations. So I wanted to make a fresh thread , hope you folks will guide me , thanks.
So I have a set of coils and a faraday disc inbetween them , the disc is mounted on a rotor axis at both ends , so are the coils which are stationary , then the two faraday discs are connected with a wire which in the middle makes several turns on a pole attached to the rotor.In other words the two disc are connected with a conductor which makes a few turn solenoid in the middle and all of this is mounted on a rotor. Around the rotor is a stationary stator with some coils on it either made of enamel wire or copper foil depending on the design.
The stator coil is connected with a capacitor to the exciter coils for the faraday disc so that I get ac induction.So here is what I can’t calculate on my own , a formula with some explanation would be great.

I want to calculate the current and voltage induced in the disc at both ends depending on the frequency and field strength of the exciter coils.
Then I want to calculate the b field strength in the rotor poles when I will know how much current the faraday discs can supply at both ends.
And I guess the same for the final output coils mounted on the stator which would see the rotating b field of the rotor poles and armature which in fact would be created from the disc at each end of the rotor.

If you need any extra info to help me out or a drawing please ask.
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Such problems are best to attack with softwares for electromagnetic field simulation

Any more help please?

I think an electromagnetic solver is your best hope. If you plan to do a lot of this sort of thing, it is worth investing the time to learn the tools.

Otherwise, you probably need to build a prototype and make measurements.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/maxwell-3d-ansoft.236753/

With a physical drawing, someone may be able to help a bit more (but not me).

Hello, thank you for reaching out with your question. It sounds like you are working on a generator or induction motor design, and you are looking for help with the calculations for current, voltage, and magnetic field strength.

First, let's start with the basics. A generator or induction motor works on the principle of electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field induces a current in a conductor. In your design, the faraday discs act as the conductor and the exciter coils create the changing magnetic field.

To calculate the induced current and voltage in the faraday disc, you will need to use Faraday's law of induction. This law states that the induced voltage is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the conductor. In your case, the magnetic flux is changing due to the rotation of the rotor and the changing magnetic field from the exciter coils. The formula for this is V = -N * dΦ/dt, where V is the induced voltage, N is the number of turns in the conductor, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

To calculate the b field strength in the rotor poles, you will need to use the formula for magnetic field strength, which is B = μ0 * N * I / l, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through the coil, and l is the length of the coil. In your case, the length of the coil is the distance between the two faraday discs.

Finally, to calculate the output current and voltage in the stator coils, you will need to use the same formula for voltage as before, but this time using the magnetic flux from the rotating rotor poles. You will also need to take into account the number of turns in the stator coils and the frequency of the rotation.

I hope this helps guide you in your calculations. It is important to note that these are simplified formulas and there may be other factors to consider in your specific design. If you need further assistance, I would recommend consulting with a professional or doing more research on electromagnetic induction and generator/induction motor design. Best of luck with your project!

1. How do generators and induction formulas work?

Generators are devices that convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. They work by spinning an armature within a magnetic field, which creates an electrical current. Induction formulas describe the relationship between the magnetic field, the armature's rotation, and the resulting electrical current.

2. What is the difference between an AC and DC generator?

AC (alternating current) generators use electromagnets to create a changing magnetic field, which induces an alternating current in the armature. DC (direct current) generators use a commutator to convert the changing current into a direct current.

3. How are generators and induction formulas important in everyday life?

Generators are used in many everyday devices such as power plants, cars, and portable generators. Induction formulas are used in the design and construction of these devices to ensure efficient conversion of energy.

4. What are some common applications of induction formulas?

Induction formulas are used in a variety of applications, such as electric motors, transformers, and generators. They are also used in wireless charging technology and electromagnetic induction cooking.

5. Can induction formulas be used to generate renewable energy?

Yes, induction formulas are used in many renewable energy sources, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric generators. These devices use the power of natural forces, such as wind or water, to spin the armature and generate electricity.