Getting Started with Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)

In summary: You can also use magnetic fields to excite the coil, set up fields in Maxwell 3D (in 'fields' tab -> add -> external -> select your coil).I hope this helps, if not feel free to ask more questions.Thanks in advance!Hello, I need help with a problem with my electromagnetic simulation. I have successfully created a model of a coil, with 5 layers and 354 turns, but when I try to simulate the coil, I get the following message: "There is no solution data to display". I have tried five times to run the simulation, and the results are always the same. I am using Maxwell 13 for 3D modeling. Can you help me?
Grinch
Dear all,
I'm a new user and I like to exchange information about the use of this tool.
From my point of view tool using should be done by suitable tutorial or guide but for this type of software I was unable to find anything useful in that sense.
I'm a electronic engineer and like to know how I can model simple circuit from scratch, first example should be sinusoidal generator, transformer windings and a resistive load connected on the secondary windings of the trasformer.
This is my first problem, I've no problem in writting a very detailed tutorial how to getting started with such problem but I need some hint from experienced user to do such task, if anyone like to help me in that sense I'll appreciate it.
Thanks in advance

Regards
Grinch

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, I've started the design.
At now my idea was set a simple circuit into the Maxwell Circuit Editor and then make the magnetics componenents into the Maxwell 3D simulation evironment.
I've do this step:

1. draw the circuit
2. set the component name
3. export the circuit netlist

I've attached the screenshot of the circuit with name circuit-sch.jpg.
Just some notes about it, LL1 and LL2 are winding elements and will be used to join the circuits with the simulated elements inside Maxwell 3D (or this is what I'm supposing... :-)).
Into the Maxwell 3D create a new project and import the circuit as external excitation, look at the attached image external.jpg, then press the button Import Circuit and select the file with extension .sph.

Now to make the join just drawn a 3D inductor, set material as copper, and then set up on the two end a coilterminal then select the Excitations o the project panel and then Add winding, use a name equal to the first winding present into the circuit (the trasformer primary) the winding type as to be set to External.

Well at now I don't know if this is a exact way to do it I hope yes, let us know the final result... :-)

Cheers
Grinch

Attachments

• external.jpg
    external.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 3,253
Last edited:
hello

I need a tutorial or user manual of maxwell 2d 3d

please!

Hola yo tambien necesito un manual o guia de ususario para maxwell 3d

avisenme algo

Adriana

hello

I need a tutorial or user manual of maxwell 2d 3d

please!

Hola yo tambien necesito un manual o guia de ususario para maxwell 3d

avisenme algo

Adriana sreadriana@yahoo.com

look here -> C:\Programs\Ansoft\Maxwell11\Help

Hello everyone

I am Working with Maxwell 3d, to simulate electric machines, I have information about a tutorial, my email is sreadriana@yahoo.com

I have doubts about the simulation of a squirrel cage motor, in terms of meshing.

Adriana

Hello everyone ,

Can anyone help me to simulate electromagnetic generator using ansys or ansoft .. thanks in advanced

Hello all,
I know that is no right topic but I need some advice.
I make simulation of the coil with 5 layers and 354 tuns. When simulation finished there isn't any results. The message is: "There is no solution data to display".
I try five and more times to simulate this model, but results is same: "There is no solution data to display".
I use Maxwell 13 for 3D modeling of my coils.
Thank you in advance!

jjoonn said:
Hello all,
I know that is no right topic but I need some advice.
I make simulation of the coil with 5 layers and 354 tuns. When simulation finished there isn't any results. The message is: "There is no solution data to display".
I try five and more times to simulate this model, but results is same: "There is no solution data to display".
I use Maxwell 13 for 3D modeling of my coils.
Thank you in advance!

Hi
..are You using transient solver ? if so, always remember to save results (Analysis/Save Fields -> create list of time moments for which you want to save solutions for further view) You can switch between time moments thru small icon ("Time=" by default it's in left bottom corner of modeler window). Hope that helps, if not feed me with some more details
Cheers

hi;
i want to design to concentric cylinders ant excite the inner one with a sin current and measure the voltages on the surface of the outer one.i really need your help.
thank you.
fatima;

Hello

Would it be some kind of air transformer ?
1. Select Transient solver, draw Your geometry (create cylinders -> substract them).
2. Reduce the geometry to half of cylinders (You'll need faces to attach coil terminals). How ? Use split function on geometry
3. Set up proper materials for Your cylinders.
4. Create "region" that will connect magnetically all solution domains (draw->region)
5. Now select the faces one by one and create coil terminals (select faces -> left click to select face -> right click and assign coil terminals. Remember about proper names and direction of the terminals, I mean in-out. like the current flows).
6. Now go to 'excitations' in Project manager. Create two windings and attach coil terminals to them. In windigs excitations select solid or stranded (solid conductor or parrallel conductors) and "external" type of winding - it means it will be connected with external electric circuit.
7. Launch Maxwell Circuit Editor. Create proper circuit. Remember about naming correctly Your windings, assigning current source and zero point to each independent circuit. Add some amper-meters and voltage-meters to circuit.
8. Save circuit and export "net list". Go to Maxwell and import it (Maxwell-> Excitations->external circuit->edit external circuit->import circuit).
9. Set up "solution setup". Choose step interval and stop time (depends on frequency You have selected for Your current source). At least 20 steps for period will be fine. Then go to next tab - "save fields". Choose the same time step and stop time (watch units) and add this to list.
10. Validate Analysis and solve it.
11. Go to results in "project manager". Create transient report-> rectandular plot and select quantities You'll like to observe.

Hope that helps.. if there are any errors write me a PM.

Anyway, Google for: "Getting Started with Maxwell Transient"

hi;
thank you for your help;it was really helpful and i could design the cylinders.i set 2 circles as excitations and the face of cylinder as winding and then i assigned the excitations to the winding.when i checked the validation of analysis there were 2 warnings:
[warning] Eddy effect settings may need revisiting due to the recent changes in the design. The default value will be used for the object if the value is not specified.
[warning] Currently no mesh operations or data link have been created for the setup(s): Setup1. The initial mesh will be used. The initial mesh is usually not fine enough to achieve an accurate solution.
and i cannot see any results in the quick report.
actually i want to excite the cylinder with a desired current and measure the voltage on a specific point.now i have these problems:
1)how can i import a desired current(data) from an external file(as an excitation)?
2)what kind of data(file format)is supported by maxwell?
3)haw can i export the voltages from a specific point on the cylinder?
4)where can i watch and save the voltages (as data)?
sorry for my english;
thank you;

no this is not an air transformer,i want to model a nerve in this way.

[warning] Eddy effect settings may need revisiting due to the recent changes in the design. The default value will be used for the object if the value is not specified.

Eddy effect.. right-click on Excitations-> set eddy effect in Project manager. Here You can select to turn on or off eddy effects. I have no idea what would be fine in this kind of design. Selecting all would be best choice.. I guess.

[warning] Currently no mesh operations or data link have been created for the setup(s): Setup1. The initial mesh will be used. The initial mesh is usually not fine enough to achieve an accurate solution.

well.. that's the hardest problem - the mesh. In transient solver You must manually modify mesh (selecting faces or volumes -> right click -> mesh operation). I have no idea about phenomena that might occur in this kind of simulation - so I simply don't know what kind of mesh (surface or inside thicken, layer mesh, impedance boundary + exclude inside the conductor) would be best here.

and i cannot see any results in the quick report

well.. double check the setup

1)how can i import a desired current(data) from an external file(as an excitation)?
2)what kind of data(file format)is supported by maxwell?

as I've mentioned in my previous post - use Maxwell Circuit Editor. Create Source and connect it to a winding. Add a resistor (it won't work as source+winding setup) and a grounding to the schematic. Export it to Maxwell (how? ->my precious post).

3)haw can i export the voltages from a specific point on the cylinder?

It gets tricky here.. You'll need to create a point on the model where You want to watch the voltage and use Maxwell Calculator (Maxwell -> Fields -> Calculator). How to use Calculator ? Select Qty-> Voltage -> Select geometry -> Calculate or Evaluate it. You'll get a value in Volts. But that's for a specific time moment selected in the main window (in one of the corners of main window). To create a plot of voltage change in time You'll need to create a script (but that's another big topic). Why You won't create a plot on the surface where You want to observe the results ? (plot will be for a specific time moment too, but You can create a animation frame by frame).

hi;
thanks for your helps gerbi ;i could finally create the winding and excite it by a sin current source and i was able to see the input current as result but i have still some problems:
1)i don't know how i can create an external source(i want to load the source with a special type of signal that i have it as data).
2)when i want to use field calculator there is no voltage option in Qty.then how can i measure the voltage on the surface of the cylinder?
thank you.

Dear all
I am new to this forum.
Just started learning Maxwell 2D and 3D.
I want to define complex permeability in x,y and z direction.
I am using Maxwell 14 and the simulation mode is eddy current mode.
Is it possible?

Last edited:
fatimachi said:
hi;
1)i don't know how i can create an external source(i want to load the source with a special type of signal that i have it as data).

That wouldn't be easy. In my practice I haven't used sources based on data.
In Circuit Editor, as You have may noticed so far, there are sin, DC, pulse, linear, frequency modulated, piecewise, expotential current/voltage sources. You can try to assemble Your signal from avaible sources... if it's possible.

2)when i want to use field calculator there is no voltage option in Qty.then how can i measure the voltage on the surface of the cylinder?
thank you.

You can't ;) there is voltage possibility as Qty in static solver, no such in transient. Again, never tried to solve this kind of problems with Maxwell.

Ketan1975 said:
Dear all
I am new to this forum.
Just started learning Maxwell 2D and 3D.
I want to define complex permeability in x,y and z direction.
I am using Maxwell 14 and the simulation mode is eddy current mode.
Is it possible?

Hi

in EC solver only linear permeability is allowed. In Transient solver You can use linear, non-linear, anisotropic (x-y-z) permeabilities.

hello everyone ;

i vant to solve that power on coil and with transient or magnetic analyses.
i don't know have i calculate the power or resistance on coil?

please help me;

regards...

emredemir said:
hello everyone ;

i vant to solve that power on coil and with transient or magnetic analyses.
i don't know have i calculate the power or resistance on coil?

please help me;

regards...

Hi

What power you want to calculate ? Real power ?

Rethink this: is there really a need to use Maxwell to calculate power or resistance of coil ?
Maybe it's faster to use conventional methods ?

There is really need for calculate power and that's a real power. My teacher said me to solved this coil on maxwell and calculate power. Do you know anything about this topic. Calculate power is exist in maxwell or not? i really don't find anything.

It can be done in transient solver.

Solve it in Maxwell, go to results and plot the current and voltage to see if it works properly. There is also possibility to plot real power losses in transient. As always, it's good to check this values by doing some hand calculations.

so you said that i could solve this by transient analyses , isn't it? but i don't know how i pointed the voltage and current on graph? can i find it in solution data link?

There are two types of Copper loss in Maxwell. This is also called ohmic loss.

StrandedLoss: This assumes the conduction path is stranded with multi-wires, so the current density is uniformly distributed. The copper loss is simply I^2 R. This power loss should be the same as you calculated by hand if you can calculate the R for that conduction path. There is no benefit to use Maxwell unless the conduction path is very complicate.

SolidLoss: This assumes the conduction path is solid and with non-uniform current density distribution such as eddy current effect when in high frequency range. This is the case that you want to use Maxwell to obtain the copper loss.

emredemir said:
so you said that i could solve this by transient analyses , isn't it? but i don't know how i pointed the voltage and current on graph? can i find it in solution data link?

Hi Fuxuje;

so you said that stranded , solid and core losses are avaible for me. i want to calculate power loss on coil so stranded loss is the same mean with this loss or isn't it? also i have an error on maxwell '': Unexpected program error:Please contact Ansoft LLC.Code(1000)'' what does it mean fuxuje . do you know?

Power loss is available, however, core loss is far away from accurate. The core loss is not from BH curve, but calculated based on flux density and frequency. You need define the core loss data set in the material property before you can do core loss.

strandedloss may be good enough for most cases, but it is really up to the problem you want to solve. If you want to consider eddy effect in the winding, then you have to use solidloss, which may not be possible in certain cases due to the 3D model may be to complicate.

I don't know the error code. If you don't have any error when do some other simulations, then it may be due to the model you have.

emredemir said:
Hi Fuxuje;

so you said that stranded , solid and core losses are avaible for me. i want to calculate power loss on coil so stranded loss is the same mean with this loss or isn't it? also i have an error on maxwell '': Unexpected program error:Please contact Ansoft LLC.Code(1000)'' what does it mean fuxuje . do you know?

but i didnt see where power loss was measure. only i saw stranded ,copper, core,strandedlossR links on Loss part in maxwell. for example can i calculate a power loss on coil or on other material? i want to solve this.

emredemir said:
but i didnt see where power loss was measure. only i saw stranded ,copper, core,strandedlossR links on Loss part in maxwell. for example can i calculate a power loss on coil or on other material? i want to solve this.

What materials do you have in your design ? Coil (copper) and core (iron) ? Any more elements ?

Assume zero conductivity of core material (iron). Only thing left is the copper. All the losses you will observe (stranded, solid) will be in copper.

EDIT:
The other method is using Maxwell calculator. There you can calculate losses in element you desire in whole time spectrum you have solved.

Integrate Ohmic-Loss in desired Volume and Time. The drawback of this method is that, you need to calculate ohmic losses in every time moment and process and plot it manually outside calculator (unless you have written a script to do the job).

Last edited:
For a transformer or inductor, total power loss is the sum of copper loss of the windings and core loss. You need add them together.

emredemir said:

Gerbi, question to you. When plot loss vs time, what value should be taken, RMS or AVG? I noticed AVG value of strandedloss is more close to I^2R value calculated by hand.

gerbi said:
What materials do you have in your design ? Coil (copper) and core (iron) ? Any more elements ?

Assume zero conductivity of core material (iron). Only thing left is the copper. All the losses you will observe (stranded, solid) will be in copper.

EDIT:
The other method is using Maxwell calculator. There you can calculate losses in element you desire in whole time spectrum you have solved.

Integrate Ohmic-Loss in desired Volume and Time. The drawback of this method is that, you need to calculate ohmic losses in every time moment and process and plot it manually outside calculator (unless you have written a script to do the job).

Gerbi;

i use vacuum for region, ferrite and copper. Thats my metarial for use in project.
but u say that maxwell calculator. Where is that. in solution data or results . firstly you say stranded loss is nearly assume power loss,isnt it? am i understand true?
but i want to solve power loss on coil and it made by copper originally. for you tell
when we calculate stranded loss also we measure the power loss on caoil. because you said that conductivity of iron very high.

Fuxue;

i know that i saw a table stranden and copper losses on results from create report part. although i saw a graph like stable on 300 W. At 0. second it was 300 W and not
change any time,Fixed value and 300 W. Is it true solution for me?

You need to make it clear. As I mentioned, normally power loss is the sum of copper loss of the windings and core loss. If you only want to know the power loss in copper, then it is either solidloss or strandedloss in Maxwell.

Right click on "Field Overlays", you will see a menu item "Calculator", where you will calculate many parameters, but it is not very intuitive.

For the core, if it is iron/steel, because its high conductivity, so there will be extra coreloss involved. Because you use ferrite, then it is not an issue especially if you don't want to include core loss in your project.

emredemir said:
Gerbi;

i use vacuum for region, ferrite and copper. Thats my metarial for use in project.
but u say that maxwell calculator. Where is that. in solution data or results . firstly you say stranded loss is nearly assume power loss,isnt it? am i understand true?
but i want to solve power loss on coil and it made by copper originally. for you tell
when we calculate stranded loss also we measure the power loss on caoil. because you said that conductivity of iron very high.

Last edited:
I don't know what is your excitation, an AC current?

Copper loss plotted vs time is normally not linear if your excitation is AC, say sine wave. So you need take average value of that plot over full time range.

If you excitation is DC, then the loss will be a straight line.

emredemir said:
Fuxue;

i know that i saw a table stranden and copper losses on results from create report part. although i saw a graph like stable on 300 W. At 0. second it was 300 W and not
change any time,Fixed value and 300 W. Is it true solution for me?

Fuxue;

i want to know that. i must be done transient analyses,arent i?

so can i apply ac current ? also i applied in windings and current value is a parametre(current1= 100*sin(w*t) ) is it true or false. Also i applied 500 Volt dc voltage in Winding part and 5 ohm resistance value. Is it ok?

<h2>1. What is Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?</h2><p>Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) is a software package developed by ANSYS Inc. that is used for electromagnetic field simulation. It allows users to analyze and design various electrical and electronic systems, such as motors, transformers, and sensors.</p><h2>2. How do I install Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?</h2><p>To install Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT), you will need to purchase a license from ANSYS Inc. Once you have the license, you can download the software from their website and follow the installation instructions provided. Make sure your computer meets the system requirements before installing.</p><h2>3. What are the key features of Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?</h2><p>Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) has many features that make it a powerful tool for electromagnetic field simulation. Some of the key features include 3D modeling capabilities, advanced material properties, automatic meshing, and a variety of solvers for different types of simulations.</p><h2>4. Can I import CAD files into Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?</h2><p>Yes, Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) supports the import of CAD files in various formats, such as STEP, IGES, and SAT. This allows users to easily import their existing designs into the software for further analysis and optimization.</p><h2>5. Is there a free trial version of Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) available?</h2><p>Yes, ANSYS Inc. offers a free trial version of Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) for a limited period of time. This allows users to test out the software and its features before making a purchase. You can download the trial version from their website and request a trial license key.</p>

1. What is Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?

Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) is a software package developed by ANSYS Inc. that is used for electromagnetic field simulation. It allows users to analyze and design various electrical and electronic systems, such as motors, transformers, and sensors.

2. How do I install Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?

To install Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT), you will need to purchase a license from ANSYS Inc. Once you have the license, you can download the software from their website and follow the installation instructions provided. Make sure your computer meets the system requirements before installing.

3. What are the key features of Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?

Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) has many features that make it a powerful tool for electromagnetic field simulation. Some of the key features include 3D modeling capabilities, advanced material properties, automatic meshing, and a variety of solvers for different types of simulations.

4. Can I import CAD files into Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT)?

Yes, Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) supports the import of CAD files in various formats, such as STEP, IGES, and SAT. This allows users to easily import their existing designs into the software for further analysis and optimization.

5. Is there a free trial version of Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) available?

Yes, ANSYS Inc. offers a free trial version of Maxwell 3D (ANSOFT) for a limited period of time. This allows users to test out the software and its features before making a purchase. You can download the trial version from their website and request a trial license key.