Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generator Sizing

1. May 14, 2015 #1
    Good day,

I have been working on load testing for generator sizing of various premises and I used a power and energy logger to do the load testing.

The results came out good, now that I got max apparent power in kVA and the max true power in kW.

My question is how should I calculate the generator sizing and what parameters should I consider in the calculation as I have never done this before, please let me know your thoughts on it.

Also what is the difference between the prime rating and standby rating for sizing the generator.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2015 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

The generator itself must be sized according to kVA. It is the absolute current in the generator that heats up the coils in the generator, and could harm the generator by doing so.

Say you have a diesel engine to produce the active power, it must be sized according to kW. The diesel engine cannot "sense" reactive power.

https://www.google.dk/search?q=prim...&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=d4pUVdCRIMfO7ga79oCQBw

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook