CD: What Makes a Spacetime Geodesically Complete?

In summary: STRACT: In summary, the article proves that a certain spacetime is geodesically complete by proving that the first derivatives of all coordinates have finite bounds. This is a very strict test, and if a spacetime passes the test, it is considered to be geodesically complete. There are cases where a spacetime is geodesically complete but still has a coordinate singularity, and cases where the spacetime is not geodesically complete but can be extended past a coordinate singularity.
Manicwhale
I'm reading an article (http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0403075) which proves that a certain spacetime is geodesically complete. It does this by proving that the first derivatives fo all coordinates have finite bounds. My question is why this is enough.

Is it just a simple ODE result? We know that the geodesic equation locally has a solution given an initial "position" and "velocity", by the basic existence result in ODEs. Hence if we show that this "velocity" is bounded everywhere then then the geodesic can extend indefinitely, because the geodesic equation can be solved everywhere. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Manicwhale said:
Is it just a simple ODE result?

On p. 5, where they say this, they refer to their reference 5, which is a book on ODEs, so it sounds like they are claiming that it is a simple ODE result.

Manicwhale said:
We know that the geodesic equation locally has a solution given an initial "position" and "velocity", by the basic existence result in ODEs. Hence if we show that this "velocity" is bounded everywhere then then the geodesic can extend indefinitely, because the geodesic equation can be solved everywhere. Is this right?
This sounds convincing to me. The general impression I get is that the test they're applying is a very strict one, so it's fairly clear that if a spacetime passes the test, it's geodesically complete. On the other hand, I think there might be many spacetimes that were geodesically complete but would fail this test.

If you had a coordinate singularity, I think your spacetime could be geodesically complete but you wouldn't be able to prove it by this test.

If there is a non-coordinate singularity, but it can't be reached in a finite amount of time, then I believe that is generally considered to be a case where the spacetime is still geodesically complete. I don't know what their test would do in this case -- it might depend on the method they used to prove the limit on the bounds of the derivatives.

You can also get cases like the following. Suppose you take a Minkowski space, described in the usual coordinates, and restrict it to the subset of events with t<0. Then the space would be geodesically incomplete, because every geodesic would terminate at t=0. However, the space can be extended past t=0, so the incompleteness isn't due to a singularity.

Thanks! I think that all sounds right. I'm reassured now.

bcrowell said:
If you had a coordinate singularity, I think your spacetime could be geodesically complete but you wouldn't be able to prove it by this test.

No it couldn't! Every spacetime with a coordinate singularity is geodesically incomplete. This is definitely becase there are values of coordinates for which the geodesic equations have at least an infinite term. As an example of this, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rindler_coordinates" .

AB

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a geodesic completeness proof?

A geodesic completeness proof is a mathematical proof used to show that a geodesic, which is the shortest path between two points on a curved surface, exists and is unique. It is an essential concept in differential geometry and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of objects moving in curved space.

2. Why are geodesic completeness proofs important?

Geodesic completeness proofs are important because they allow us to determine whether a given curved space is complete or not. A complete space is one in which geodesics exist for all points, while an incomplete space has geodesics that do not exist for certain points. This information is crucial in many fields, including general relativity and cosmology.

3. How are geodesic completeness proofs carried out?

Geodesic completeness proofs are typically carried out using mathematical techniques from differential geometry, such as the use of the Riemann curvature tensor and the geodesic equation. These tools allow mathematicians to analyze the behavior of geodesics in a given curved space and determine their existence and uniqueness.

4. What are some real-world applications of geodesic completeness proofs?

Geodesic completeness proofs have many real-world applications, such as in navigation systems, where they are used to determine the shortest path between two points on a curved surface. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of objects moving in curved space, such as spacecraft, which follow geodesic paths in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

5. Are geodesic completeness proofs limited to only a certain type of space?

No, geodesic completeness proofs can be applied to any type of space, including Euclidean space, hyperbolic space, and even more complex spaces such as Riemannian manifolds. However, the techniques used may vary depending on the specific properties of the space being analyzed.