Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Normal and Parametric Surface?

1. Jan 3, 2014 #1
    I've been working on Multivariable Calculus with a few books. In Vector Analysis, I've had some parts which made some questions come up in my mind. I have two questions about them.

1)Can we think of surface normal vector ([itex]\vec{n}[/itex]) as a vector field ([itex]\vec{F}[/itex]) or just a position vector ([itex]\vec{r}[/itex]) which doesn't make sense to me?

2)Do we always have to parametrize a surface with two variables ([itex]\vec{r}(u,v)[/itex]) which I haven't seen any of ([itex]\vec{r}(t)[/itex]) giving us a single variable parameterized surface? Why?

Thanks..

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2014 #2
    I really don't understand question 1, but with regard to question 2: A surface is a 2D entity, and requires two independent variables to establish position within the surface.

Chet

4. Jan 4, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We certainly cannot think of a single vector as a vector field since a vector field is a set of vectors. The set of all normal vectors to a given surface form a vector field.

Personally, I would recommend that you forget about "position vectors" entirely. They only make sense, to begin with, in Cartesian coordinates, in a given coordinate system, so are not really general. (Suppose we set up a coordinate system on the surface of a sphere. Do "position vectors", from (0,0) to [itex](\theta, \phi)[itex], go through the sphere or do they curve around the sphere? I used to worry a lot about that! Of course the answer is that there are NO "position vector" on such a surface.)

A surface is, pretty much by definition, two dimensional. That means that we need two numbers, whether parameters or not, to identify a point on a surface.

5. Jan 4, 2014 #4
    I respectfully disagree. If [itex]\vec{r}(θ,\phi)[/itex] represents a position vector from the origin (i.e., the center of the sphere) to a point on the surface of the sphere, then [itex]\vec{r}(θ,\phi)=r\vec{i_r}(θ,\phi)[/itex], where [itex]\vec{i_r}(θ,\phi)[/itex] is the unit vector in the radial direction. A differential position vector within the surface is then given by:
    [itex]d\vec{r}(θ,\phi)=\frac{\partial \vec{r}(θ,\phi)}{\partial θ}dθ+\frac{\partial \vec{r}(θ,\phi)}{\partial \phi}d\phi=\vec{a_θ}dθ+\vec{a_{\phi}}d\phi[/itex]
    where [itex]\vec{a_θ}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{a_{\phi}}[/itex] represent the coordinate basis vectors in the θ and [itex]\phi[/itex] coordinate directions, respectively.

In short, even though there are no position vectors within such a surface, position vectors from an arbitrary origin to points on the surface can be used to establish differential position vectors within the surface.

6. Jan 4, 2014 #5
    Anyway I know it doesn't mean a single vector. My question is considering whether its notation refers to a vector field or a position vector. Okay, I've considered it correctly then.

Can I generalize the state so that;

In [itex]R^{2}[/itex], [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] must be at least single variable.
    In [itex]R^{3}[/itex], [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] must be at least two variables.
    In [itex]R^{n}[/itex], [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] must be at least [itex]n-1[/itex] variables. ??

7. Jan 4, 2014 #6
    In [itex]R^{2}[/itex], [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] must be at least single variable.

This is a line.
    You can also use r in this case as a function of a single variable to define a curved line in space.

Even in higher dimensional spaces, r as a function of two variables is still a 2D surface. In this case, r as a function of m=1,...,n-1 variables is an m dimensional "surface." Note that this only works if R^n is a flat space. However, some people (myself included) are comfortable with assuming that the m dimensional curved "surface" is immersed in a higher dimensional flat space. For example, in general relativity, I have no qualms about imagining that curved 4D space-time is immersed in a higher dimensional flat space.

8. Jan 4, 2014 #7
    Okay, I guess I got it. Thanks for help..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook