Solve Geometric Sequence Word Problem in Gossipopolis

In summary, the secret in Gossipopolis is spread rapidly among the people, with each person telling three others every hour. After seven hours, the total number of people who know the secret (excluding the original person who was told) is 3,280. This is calculated by finding the sum of the first seven terms in a geometric series with a starting value of 3 and a common ratio of 3, which results in 3,279. The book's answer of 1093 is incorrect, as it only includes the sum of the first six terms.
ThomasMagnus
I'm having trouble with a word problem:

The people of Gossipopolis cannot keep a secret. Upon being told a secret, a person from Gossipopolis will spend the next hour telling three people. In turn, those friends will spend the next hour each telling 3 more people. This process continues and no one will tell someone who already knows the secret. If you tell a person from Gossipopolis a secret, how many people excluding you, will know the secret after 7 hours?

Here is my attempt:

In the first hour 3 people are told, therefore a=3

Each hour they tell 3 more, therefore common ratio is 3

Over 7 hours, therefore N=7

Find the sum of the first 7 terms formed by the geometric series: 3,9,27...

Sn=a[(R^n)-1]/(R-1)
S7=3[(3^7)-1]/(3-1)
Sum of the seven terms equals 3,279
The person who was originally told the secret also has to be added. Therefore, after seven hours 3,280 people will know the secret.

The answer in the book says 1093. I think this is a mistake because they seemed to work out the equation wrong. Am I doing this correctly?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1093 is the sum of the first six terms, plus one. Looks like the answer in the book is a mistake.

Manarius said:
1093 is the sum of the first six terms, plus one. Looks like the answer in the book is a mistake.

I don't think so, you are adding 1+3+9+27+81+243+729, not 3+9+27+81+243+729+2187, read the question again (you only tell one person the secret)

sjb-2812 said:
I don't think so, you are adding 1+3+9+27+81+243+729, not 3+9+27+81+243+729+2187, read the question again (you only tell one person the secret)

Yes, but it doesn't take you an hour to tell the one person.

You tell 1 person.

He tells 3 people (1 hour gone)

They tell 9 people (2 hours gone)

They tell 27 (3 hours gone)

81 (4 hours)

243 (5 hours)

729 (6 hours)

2187 (7 hours)

It should be: 1+3+9+27+81+243+729+2187

1. What is a geometric sequence in math?

A geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number called the common ratio. This means that each term in the sequence is found by multiplying the previous term by the same number.

2. How do I solve a geometric sequence word problem?

To solve a geometric sequence word problem, you first need to identify the given information, which usually includes the first term and the common ratio. Then, you can use the formula for the nth term of a geometric sequence (an = a1rn-1) to find the missing term or the sum of the sequence.

3. What is Gossipopolis?

Gossipopolis is a fictional town used in math problems to make solving more relatable and engaging. It is not a real place.

4. Can a geometric sequence word problem have a decimal common ratio?

Yes, a geometric sequence word problem can have a decimal common ratio. The common ratio can be any number, as long as it is the same for each term in the sequence.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving geometric sequence word problems?

One useful trick for solving geometric sequence word problems is to use a table to organize the information and easily find the missing term or the sum of the sequence. Another useful tip is to remember that the common ratio is the number that is multiplied to get from one term to the next.