Geometric understanding of integration / surface area of sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the surface area of a sphere using integration and how it differs from finding the volume of a sphere. The main question is why the integral over the circumference of a circle does not give the surface area of a sphere. It is explained that this is because the differential represents the area of a ring with varying radius, while in order to find the surface area of a sphere, the slices must have varying angles instead. The conversation concludes with a thank you for the clarification.
Saraphim
Hi everyone,

I've browsed around the forum a bit and found that others have had the same problem as me, however, none of the answers help me a lot, so I thought to post a more specific question, I hope you don't mind.

I'm having a problem with the surface area of a sphere, probably because I'm extending "backwards", ie. if the derivative of sphere volume is sphere surface, why is the integral over the circumference of a circle not the surface area of a sphere? More formally, why is this:

[tex]2\int_0^R 2\pi r dr \neq 4\pi R^2[/tex]

I know plenty of other ways of obtaining the surface area of a sphere, also through integration, but I simply lack the geometric understanding to show me why this particular integral does NOT describe the surface area of a (hemi)sphere.

Can anyone enlighten me? Bear in mind, I am by no means very good at math. I know a bunch of tools, and how to use them, but my understanding of them is vague at best, and that is what I am trying to rectify.

Thank you in advance. :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Saraphim! :smile:

2πrdr is the area of a ring of inner radius r and outer radius r + dr.

So ∫0R 2πrdr is the area of a whole disc of radius R.

To find the surface area of a sphere, you would divide the sphere into tiny slices, but they would all have the same r, wouldn't they? :wink:

(the expression inside the ∫ would be the area of a typical tiny slice)

They would have different θ instead, and you would integrate over θ.

It didn't even occur to me to stop and consider the meaning of the differential. :blushing:

Thanks a lot. :)

1. What is the geometric understanding of integration?

The geometric understanding of integration is the concept of finding the area under a curve or a surface. It involves dividing the curve or surface into smaller and smaller parts and adding them together to get an accurate measurement of the area.

2. How is integration used to find the surface area of a sphere?

Integration can be used to find the surface area of a sphere by dividing the sphere into infinitesimally small "slices" and adding them together. This process is known as the spherical shell method.

3. Can you explain the formula for finding the surface area of a sphere using integration?

The formula for finding the surface area of a sphere using integration is A = ∫2πrh dh, where A is the surface area, r is the radius of the sphere, and h is the height of the infinitesimal "slice". This formula is derived from the formula for the circumference of a circle, 2πr, and the concept of integrating the circumference over the height of the sphere.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the surface area of a sphere?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the surface area of a sphere, such as using the formula A = 4πr^2 or using the Cavalieri's principle. However, the integration method is the most widely used and accurate method for finding the surface area of a sphere.

5. How does understanding the surface area of a sphere contribute to real-world applications?

Understanding the surface area of a sphere is important in many real-world applications, such as building construction, 3D modeling, and calculating the volume of liquids in containers. It also has applications in physics, such as calculating the surface area of planets and other celestial bodies.