Geometric Understanding of Octopole Moment Beyond Quadropole

In summary, the mono, di, and quadropole moments can be easily understood geometrically, with points of zero potential being symmetrical between charges. However, with the octopole moment and higher order moments, the three-dimensional limitations make it difficult to find points of zero potential with the same level of symmetry. This may suggest that the geometric significance of these moments differs from the first three. However, there are still some arrangements, such as an octopole arrangement of coils, that can be generalized to higher dimensions.
shdrums9
Generalizing past the quadropole moment-- geometric understanding of the octopole+

I'm having a bit of trouble articulating my question, but I hope the explanations will help you to understand the source of my confusion:

The mono, di, and quadropole moments are all geometrically understandable.

When looking at a dipole moment (say, of two opposite charges) we usually calculate by placing our origin half way between the two charges. If we place the charges along the y-axis (one charge is some distance above the origin, the other is an equal distance from the origin below the origin), we can draw a line of zero potential along the x axis, since at any point on the x axis, the charges are equidistant.

Similarly, I can see the symmetry in a quadropole moment by placing 4 charges in a square array in the x-y plane and then measuring along the z axis from an origin at the center of the square.

However, we run out of dimensions when looking for a line of zero potential with the octopole moment. Although the point at the middle of an octopole moment has a zero potential, there is no other point with the same sort of symmetry.

So I guess my question is, am I prescribing too much 'geometric significance' to the mono, di, and quadropole moments, or do octopole terms (and those of higher order) fundamentally differ from the first three since we are bound by three dimensions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It depends on the arrangement I'd say. E.g. the picture here seems to be generalizable to higher dimensions:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Plots-showing-the-real-part-of-the-monopole-dipole-and-quadrupole-terms-n-0-1-2_fig2_322696643
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/a-Magnetic-field-profile-of-SEM-C-generated-from-an-octopole-arrangement-of-coils-with-a_fig4_5552263

Related to Geometric Understanding of Octopole Moment Beyond Quadropole

1. What is an octopole moment?

An octopole moment is a measure of the distribution of electric charge in a system, specifically the distribution of charge beyond the quadrupole moment. It provides information about the shape and orientation of the charge distribution, and is related to the multipole expansion of the electric potential.

2. How is the octopole moment different from the quadrupole moment?

The quadrupole moment describes the distribution of electric charge in a system in terms of a dipole, while the octopole moment takes into account the presence of a quadrupole and further describes the distribution in terms of a quadrupole and octupole. In other words, the octopole moment provides a more detailed understanding of the distribution of charge.

3. Why is it important to study the octopole moment beyond the quadrupole?

Studying the octopole moment beyond the quadrupole can provide insights into the underlying symmetry of a system. It can also help in understanding the behavior of complex systems, such as molecules and nuclei, and can aid in the development of new materials and technologies.

4. How is the octopole moment calculated?

The octopole moment is calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the positions and charges of the particles in a system. It involves integrating over the charge distribution to determine the higher order moments beyond the quadrupole moment.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the octopole moment beyond the quadrupole?

Understanding the octopole moment beyond the quadrupole has many practical applications, such as in materials science, where it can help in designing new materials with specific properties. It is also important in nuclear physics, as it can provide insights into the structure of nuclei and aid in the development of nuclear technologies. Additionally, it has applications in astrophysics, as it can help in understanding the behavior of stars and other celestial bodies.