Geometrical Problem: What is the Value of DC?

In summary, The problem involves two intersecting ladders with known lengths and distances from the ground. The question is what is the value of DC? The solution involves setting up a system of equations using the Pythagorean theorem and similar triangles. This leads to a quartic equation which can be solved to find the value of DC. However, this solution is considered messy and the search for a more elegant solution continues.
n7imo
Hello,

A friend of mine gave me this puzzle and I'd like to share it with you, math enthusiasts:
Two ladders intersect in a point O, the first ladder is 3m long and the second one 2m. O is 1m from the ground, that is AC = 2, BD = 3 and OE = 1 (see the image bellow)

Question: what's the value of DC ?

Note:
E is the perpendicular projection of O on [DC] and it does not necessarily divide [DC] in two equal parts.
problem.png

Likes Ssnow and Patrick Sossoumihen
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, I have an answer. Do you know the answer, or are you asking for help?

phyzguy said:
Well, I have an answer. Do you know the answer, or are you asking for help?
Don't hesitate sharing it, I found the answer in a numerical form, but I'm curious about finding a closed form solution.

Mathematica gave me a closed form solution, but it is very messy.

phyzguy said:
Mathematica gave me a closed form solution, but it is very messy.
How did you approach the problem ?

Maybe not the most elegant way, but I set up 5 unknowns - OD, OC, AD, BC, CD. Using the Pythagorean theorem and similar triangles, you can write 5 equations relating them, then solve them.

phyzguy said:
Maybe not the most elegant way, but I set up 5 unknowns - OD, OC, AD, BC, CD. Using the Pythagorean theorem and similar triangles, you can write 5 equations relating them, then solve them.
I ended up with a system of two nonlinear equation, I talked about it here https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/a-nonlinear-equation-system.862991/
I used x =BC and y= AD. Once I found x and y I used Pythagore to find DC. But the x (or y) end up being a solution of a quartic equations ... messy

Yes, I agree that you end up with a quartic.

phyzguy said:
Yes, I agree that you end up with a quartic.
The problem is very easy to explain, I wonder if there is a different approach that give an elegant solution.

1. What is a geometrical problem?

A geometrical problem is a question or puzzle that involves the properties and relationships of geometric shapes and figures. These problems often require mathematical reasoning and problem-solving skills to solve.

2. How is DC defined in a geometrical problem?

DC is the abbreviation for "diagonal of a rectangle". It refers to the line segment that connects the opposite corners of a rectangle.

3. What is the formula for finding the value of DC?

The formula for finding the value of DC is DC = √(length² + width²), where length and width are the dimensions of the rectangle.

4. Can the value of DC be negative?

No, the value of DC cannot be negative. It represents a length or distance and therefore must be positive.

5. Are there any real-world applications for solving geometrical problems?

Yes, geometrical problems have many real-world applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics. For example, architects use geometric principles to design buildings, and engineers use them to create structures that can withstand different forces and stresses.