1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Geometrical problem

1. Mar 21, 2016 #1
    Hello,

A friend of mine gave me this puzzle and I'd like to share it with you, math enthusiasts:
    Two ladders intersect in a point O, the first ladder is 3m long and the second one 2m. O is 1m from the ground, that is AC = 2, BD = 3 and OE = 1 (see the image bellow)

Question: what's the value of DC ?

Note:
    E is the perpendicular projection of O on [DC] and it does not necessarily divide [DC] in two equal parts.
    problem.png

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2016 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Well, I have an answer. Do you know the answer, or are you asking for help?

4. Mar 21, 2016 #3
    Don't hesitate sharing it, I found the answer in a numerical form, but I'm curious about finding a closed form solution.

5. Mar 21, 2016 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Mathematica gave me a closed form solution, but it is very messy.

6. Mar 21, 2016 #5
    How did you approach the problem ?

7. Mar 21, 2016 #6

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Maybe not the most elegant way, but I set up 5 unknowns - OD, OC, AD, BC, CD. Using the Pythagorean theorem and similar triangles, you can write 5 equations relating them, then solve them.

8. Mar 21, 2016 #7
    I ended up with a system of two nonlinear equation, I talked about it here https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/a-nonlinear-equation-system.862991/
    I used x =BC and y= AD. Once I found x and y I used Pythagore to find DC. But the x (or y) end up being a solution of a quartic equations ... messy

9. Mar 21, 2016 #8

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Yes, I agree that you end up with a quartic.

10. Mar 21, 2016 #9
    The problem is very easy to explain, I wonder if there is a different approach that give an elegant solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted