Solving Geometry Equations with Cosine and Euler Angles

• Thread starter Hollysmoke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the textbook states that cos^2x + cos^2y + cos^2z=1, but does not provide any further explanation or context. It is possible that x, y, and z could represent Euler angles, and in that case, the equation would hold true. However, without further information, it is impossible to determine the specific values of x, y, and z or how to enter them into a calculator. It may be helpful to ask the teacher for clarification on the topic.
Hollysmoke
in the textbook it says cos^2x + cos^2y + cos^2z=1 . How do we do cos^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hollysmoke said:
in the textbook it says cos^2x + cos^2y + cos^2z=1 . How do we do cos^2?

What do you mean "How do we do cos^2" ? I don't understand the question that you're asking, could you elaborate a little bit?

hmm...like, how do they get =1? What would I type into hte calculator to get that? The textbook wasn't very helpful in that sense.

Hollysmoke said:
hmm...like, how do they get =1? What would I type into hte calculator to get that? The textbook wasn't very helpful in that sense.

Well it certainly isn't an identity. What is this in the context of, I mean how is this presented in the book? Is it a problem or what?

That's all it says. I'll ask the teacher tomorrow to elaborate and get back to you.

Hollysmoke said:
That's all it says. I'll ask the teacher tomorrow to elaborate and get back to you.

But is this a problem, or just something like in an example or diagram? I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, it's just it's a very vague statement that I'm having a hard time inferring things from.

It's the equation that is given.

Hollysmoke said:
It's the equation that is given.

And it says nothing else, no conditions or what the equation is supposed to be or be used for? I just have a hard time believing that something like this would be put in a textbook without any explanation if you are supposed to be learning it.

d_leet said:
What do you mean "How do we do cos^2" ? I don't understand the question that you're asking, could you elaborate a little bit?

Could x, y, and z be Euler angles? That's the only relationship I know of that looks like that.

-Dan

That's was my first thought: L is a line in 3 dimensions and x, y, z are the "Euler angles", the angles L makes with the x, y, z axes respectively. In that case, it must be the case that cos2 x+ cos2 y+ cos2 z= 1. In fact, (cos x)i+ (cos y)j+ (cos z)k is a unit vector pointing in the direction of line L.

But Hollysmoke's question was how to enter the numbers into the calculator!

Hollysmoke, we really can't answer that without knowing what kind of calculator you are using. Different types of calculator require different kinds of entry. Also what are your values for x, y, z?

What is a Geometry Equation Problem?

A Geometry Equation Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the value of one or more unknown variables in a geometric equation. These equations usually involve shapes such as triangles, circles, or rectangles.

What are some common types of Geometry Equation Problems?

Some common types of Geometry Equation Problems include finding the area, perimeter, or volume of a shape, as well as solving for the length of a side or the measure of an angle in a shape.

How do you solve a Geometry Equation Problem?

To solve a Geometry Equation Problem, you must first identify the given information and the unknown variable in the equation. Then, you can use the appropriate formula or theorem to manipulate the equation and solve for the unknown variable.

What are some strategies for solving difficult Geometry Equation Problems?

One strategy for solving difficult Geometry Equation Problems is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps. Another strategy is to draw a diagram or use visual aids to help visualize the problem. Additionally, it can be helpful to practice solving similar problems to build familiarity and confidence.

Why is understanding Geometry Equation Problems important?

Understanding Geometry Equation Problems is important because it allows us to solve real-world problems involving shapes and measurements. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in many fields including mathematics, science, and engineering.