Geometry: Finding The Representation For An Angle

In summary, a bisection of angle ABC is represented by the line segment BD. If m∠ABD is equal to 3a + 10 and m∠DBC is equal to 5a - 6, the value of m∠ABC can be found by solving for a and then multiplying it by 2. Alternatively, adding 3a + 10 and 5a - 6 and plugging in a will also give the value of m∠ABC.
Bashyboy
[itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{PQ}[/itex] bisects [itex]\angle{ABC}[/itex].
If [itex]m\angle{ABD}[/itex] can be represented by [itex]3a + 10[/itex] and [itex]m\angle{DBC}[/itex] can be represented by [itex]5a - 6[/itex], what is [itex]m\angle{ABC}[/itex]?

What I did was add the two representations together and multiplied by two, which would give me [itex]16a + 8[/itex]. Does that sound correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the point D? Also, is it supposed to read ##\vec{BD}## instead of ##\vec{PQ}##?

Also, why would you multiply by 2?

Bashyboy said:
[itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{PQ}[/itex] bisects [itex]\angle{ABC}[/itex].
If [itex]m\angle{ABD}[/itex] can be represented by [itex]3a + 10[/itex] and [itex]m\angle{DBC}[/itex] can be represented by [itex]5a - 6[/itex], what is [itex]m\angle{ABC}[/itex]?

What I did was add the two representations together and multiplied by two, which would give me [itex]16a + 8[/itex]. Does that sound correct?
What does [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{PQ}[/itex] have to do with anything?

Why multiply by 2 ?

Sorry to both of you. It is not suppose to be PQ, but BD; I was looking at the wrong problem. Well, I was thinking, since it was a bisection of an angle, it would be the whole angle cut in half. But, know that I really consider it, that would be equivalent to [itex](1/2 + 1/2)2[/itex], which not represent the whole angle. Now, since I know that those two expressions represent the same angle measurement, could I set them equal to each other, solve for a, and finally multiply that value by two get get the un-bisected angle?

Bashyboy said:
Sorry to both of you. It is not suppose to be PQ, but BD; I was looking at the wrong problem. Well, I was thinking, since it was a bisection of an angle, it would be the whole angle cut in half. But, know that I really consider it, that would be equivalent to [itex](1/2 + 1/2)2[/itex], which not represent the whole angle. Now, since I know that those two expressions represent the same angle measurement, could I set them equal to each other, solve for a, and finally multiply that value by two get get the un-bisected angle?

Okay, that makes more sense! You almost have the right idea. You are absolutely correct in your method for solving for a. However, a by itself does not represent either angle, so multiply a by 2 would serve no purpose. However, plugging in a for either of the two equations (##3a+10## or ##5a-6##) will give you the equation for one half of the angle. Then you are correct, you would multiply THAT angle by two to get the entire angle.

Alternatively, you can add ##3a + 10## and ##5a-6## together and plug in a to get the entire angle. Both methods work!

Thank you for helping me.

1. What is an angle in geometry?

An angle in geometry is a figure formed by two rays or line segments that share a common endpoint. It is typically measured in degrees or radians and is used to describe the amount of turn or rotation between the two rays or line segments.

2. How do you find the representation for an angle?

The representation for an angle can be found by using a protractor or a compass. With a protractor, you can measure the angle directly on the figure. With a compass, you can create the angle by drawing two intersecting arcs and measuring the angle between them.

3. What is the difference between a positive and a negative angle?

A positive angle is measured in a counterclockwise direction from the initial side to the terminal side, while a negative angle is measured in a clockwise direction. A positive angle is represented with a "+" sign, while a negative angle is represented with a "-" sign.

4. Can an angle have a measurement greater than 360 degrees?

Yes, an angle can have a measurement greater than 360 degrees. This is called a reflex angle and it measures between 180 and 360 degrees. It is the rotation that exceeds one complete revolution.

5. How are angles classified in geometry?

Angles can be classified based on their measurements and relationships with other angles. Some common classifications include acute (less than 90 degrees), right (90 degrees), obtuse (between 90 and 180 degrees), and straight (180 degrees). Angles can also be complementary (sum of 90 degrees), supplementary (sum of 180 degrees), or vertical (opposite angles formed by two intersecting lines).