Proving Isometry Preserves Distance in R^3 with f(0)=0

• Thread starter bookworm_07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isometry
In summary, the person is trying to figure out how to use the knowledge they have to show that f(u) x f(v) = +- f(u x v). They are having trouble relating the two and would rather understand what they are supposed to do.
bookworm_07
Ok I know that isometries preserve distance and in order for a fn to be an isometry || f(u) - f(v) || = || u - v ||
and in this question it asks to prove

prove that if an isometry satisfies f(0) = 0 then we have
f(u) x f(v) = +- f(u x v)
and what property of f determines the choice of sign

"x" is the cross product

Now i know that this space must be R^3 because its the cross product
and i know that f(0) = 0 because
|| f(v) - f(u) || = || f(0) - f(0) || = 0

I just don't know how to connect this knowledge to the cross product.
A push in the right direction would be awsome! I just need a start.
thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean that you "know f(0) = 0 because..."? You know f(0) = 0 because they tell you so, you didn't (can't) deduce that fact, since translation is an isometry for which that equation doesn't hold. Also, why in the world would you have:

||f(v) - f(u)|| = ||f(0) - f(0)||?

That appears to come out of nowhere. Moreover, it appears to have nothing to do with f(0) = 0, although you claim to use it as your reason for justifying it. Here's what you know:

||f(u) - f(v)|| = ||u - v|| because f is an isometry
f(0) = 0 because they tell you so
"|| f(v) - f(u) || = || f(0) - f(0) ||" is false in general

oh ok, i was just trying anything really.
my biggest problem is using ||f(u) - f(v)|| = ||u - v||
to show that f(u) x f(v) = +- f(u x v)
i just don't know how to relate the two,
I don't want you to give me the answer AKG, i would much rather understand what i am suppose to do then get something free.

1. What is the definition of isometry?

Isometry is a mathematical concept that describes a transformation that preserves distance. In other words, the distance between any two points before and after the transformation remains the same.

2. How is isometry related to the concept of symmetry?

Isometry and symmetry are closely related, as both involve preserving certain properties of objects or spaces. However, while symmetry describes the preservation of shape and orientation, isometry specifically refers to the preservation of distance.

3. What does it mean for an isometry to preserve distance in R^3?

This means that for any two points in a three-dimensional space (R^3), the distance between them remains the same after the transformation is applied.

4. What is the significance of f(0)=0 in proving isometry preserves distance in R^3?

The condition f(0)=0 means that the transformation has a fixed point at the origin (0,0,0) in R^3. This is important because it allows us to use the distance formula to prove that the distance between any two points is preserved under the transformation.

5. How is proving isometry preserves distance in R^3 useful in mathematics and other fields?

Proving isometry preserves distance in R^3 is useful in many fields, such as geometry, physics, and computer graphics. It allows us to understand and manipulate three-dimensional spaces and objects while preserving their important properties, such as distance and shape.