1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry terminology: altitude from vertex, median from vertex, the bisector of angle

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So these are line segments in triangles. I don't understand how they are different.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2011 #2
    Re: Geometry terminology: altitude from vertex, median from vertex, the bisector of a

1zgldu.jpg

The altitude is a line from some vertex to the other side of the triangle (first pic). The median is a line from some vertex to the middle of the side across from it (middle pic). The bisecting angle or whatever it's called is simply a line cast in the direction of 1/2 the angle (last pic)

4. Dec 10, 2011 #3
    Re: Geometry terminology: altitude from vertex, median from vertex, the bisector of a

Actually, I found a much better image than my mspaint thing.

image003.gif

Consider this triangle ABC

The line from A, straight down is the altitude. The one from A to the middle of the base (close to the a), is the median, and the one that is 1/2 the angle of BAC is the bisector.

5. Dec 11, 2011 #4

So the median is not the same as the angle bisector?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook