Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Geometry terminology: altitude from vertex, median from vertex, the bisector of angle

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So these are line segments in triangles. I don't understand how they are different.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2011 #2
    Re: Geometry terminology: altitude from vertex, median from vertex, the bisector of a

1zgldu.jpg

The altitude is a line from some vertex to the other side of the triangle (first pic). The median is a line from some vertex to the middle of the side across from it (middle pic). The bisecting angle or whatever it's called is simply a line cast in the direction of 1/2 the angle (last pic)

4. Dec 10, 2011 #3
    Re: Geometry terminology: altitude from vertex, median from vertex, the bisector of a

Actually, I found a much better image than my mspaint thing.

image003.gif

Consider this triangle ABC

The line from A, straight down is the altitude. The one from A to the middle of the base (close to the a), is the median, and the one that is 1/2 the angle of BAC is the bisector.

5. Dec 11, 2011 #4

So the median is not the same as the angle bisector?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook