Should I Pursue a Degree in Geophysics or Switch Back to Physics?

In summary: Get caught up in the conversation, not the sales pitch. In summary, if you want to pursue a career in geophysics, you should consider continuing your undergraduate studies with a degree in Applied Physics with a minor in Earth Science.
petie320
Hey everyone, I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster.

I'm currently a second year undergrad student enrolled in BS.c of geophysics with a minor in physics. I'm interested in pursuing a career in geophysics, however, I'm not sure I'm going about it in the best way. The way I see it, I have two options:

1. continue with the BS.c geophysics with minor in physics OR
2. switch majors to experimental physics, and upon graduation specialize into geophysics

My concern with getting an undergrad in geophysics is that there is not as much focus on math and physics courses as there would be in a pure physics degree (I guess that's obvious). Anyone have any opinions on what i should do? I don't want to neglect the fundamental courses, however it seems logical to get a geophysics degree if my intention is to pursue a career in geophysics.

PS. i was originally in experimental physics and only recently switched to geophysics. Switching back would not be hard.

Physics news on Phys.org
Questions you might want to ask:
- Have graduates of your current geophysics program gone into geophysics graduate school?
- If they have, how successful have they been? (You may want to try contacting some of them. Most grad students are reasonably happy to answer a few polite questions from an undergrad.)
- What courses specifically would you be missing?
- What courses do you get out of the geophysics major that you wouldn't in the experimental physics major?

As a rule of thumb, I generally believe that one should avoid specializing too much in undergrad. Sometimes you can end up with special programs that include 'field overview' type courses that, while interesting, contribute little to your overall education and keep you from learning more valuable stuff. In my experience it also keeps more doors open for longer, should you decide you want to change paths somewhere later along the line.

Choppy said:
As a rule of thumb, I generally believe that one should avoid specializing too much in undergrad. Sometimes you can end up with special programs that include 'field overview' type courses that, while interesting, contribute little to your overall education and keep you from learning more valuable stuff. In my experience it also keeps more doors open for longer, should you decide you want to change paths somewhere later along the line.

thanks for the response so quick.

I do kind of feel like I'm specializing a bit too soon, maybe it would be wise to stick with a physics degree of some sort for my undegrad. My university offers several types of physics degrees, including an Applied physics degree. I'm not really sure of the difference between experimental and applied physics, but maybe the best choice would be applied physics with a minor in Earth science.

If you desire to go into a particular field, first look at what professional certifications are required and path to complete this. then be aware that technical fields are being increasingly outsourced or off shored as the technical fields are being commoditized.

Be sure to plan for a SOLID proficiency in business - accounting or finance and also project management - as the real value to a company is not in being a great technician, but in bringing strategic value to the company by understanding how technology can efficiently and effectively add value to the business function.

Go schedule appointments with folks in leadership positions in the fields of interest and find out what they REALLY do and what skills they REALLY need. Don't get caught asking folks in a department whose vested interest is to sell that department.

I would say that both options have their own merits and it ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. Geophysics and physics are closely related fields, so either degree would provide you with a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. However, a geophysics degree would also offer specialized courses and practical experience in the application of these principles to the study of Earth's structure, processes, and resources. On the other hand, a physics degree would provide a broader understanding of fundamental physical laws and theories that can be applied to various fields, including geophysics.

If your goal is to specifically work in the field of geophysics, then a geophysics degree may be more beneficial as it would provide you with a specialized skill set and knowledge base. However, if you are interested in exploring other career options within the broader field of physics, then a physics degree may be a better choice.

Ultimately, it is important to thoroughly research the curriculum and courses offered in both programs and consider your long-term career goals before making a decision. Also, keep in mind that you can always supplement your geophysics degree with additional courses or a graduate degree in physics if you feel you need a stronger foundation in those areas. Good luck with your decision!

1. What is the difference between a Geophysics and Physics degree?

A Geophysics degree focuses on the study of the Earth's physical properties, such as its structure, composition, and processes. It also involves the application of physics principles to understand the Earth's phenomena, such as earthquakes, volcanoes, and plate tectonics. On the other hand, a Physics degree covers a broad range of topics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics, with a focus on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe.

2. Are the career opportunities different for Geophysics and Physics graduates?

While both degrees provide a strong foundation in math and science, the career opportunities for Geophysics and Physics graduates can vary. Geophysics graduates may pursue careers in fields such as environmental consulting, energy exploration, or geotechnical engineering, while Physics graduates may choose to work in research and development, technology, or education. However, there can also be overlap in career paths, and many job opportunities may be open to both degrees.

3. Is one degree more challenging than the other?

Both Geophysics and Physics degrees can be challenging, as they require a strong understanding of math, physics, and other scientific concepts. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. Geophysics may involve more fieldwork and data analysis, while Physics may require more theoretical and mathematical problem-solving.

4. Do Geophysics and Physics degrees have different course requirements?

While both degrees may have some overlapping courses, they also have specific course requirements unique to each field. Geophysics courses may include geology, geophysics methods, and earth systems, while Physics courses may cover topics such as classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is essential to research the course requirements of each degree before choosing which one to pursue.

5. Can I switch from a Geophysics to a Physics degree or vice versa?

It is possible to switch from a Geophysics to a Physics degree or vice versa, but it may require additional coursework or credits to make up for any differences in course requirements. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best path for switching degrees and ensure that all degree requirements are met.