Getting a Masters with a Computer Science degree

In summary, if you're interested in pursuing a computer engineering masters, you should check out the entry requirements for the programs you're interested in and see if you can get them in line with your long-term goals.
Jakecrews28
Right now I am a sophomore studying to be a computer science major. As of now I am wanting to go to grad school to get a masters. I was curious though if computer science was the only thing I could get a masters in though. Such as would it be possible to get a masters in computer engineering instead? I know physics majors can get a masters in engineering so I was curious to know.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you enjoy and excel in calculus/linear algebra, you could pursue statistics. Statistics is heavily computational these days, and your programming skills would be incredibly useful. The minimum requirements for most grad programs is just calc 1-3 and linear algebra. Of course coursework in stats and real analysis would be beneficial as well.

I can't help but wonder if it might be better to simply figure out what direction you want to go in, rather than trying to figure out what options you technically qualify for given your current trajectory.

The thing with graduate school is that you don't want to just meet the minimum criteria for acceptance, because that will put you at a huge disadvantage compared to your classmates as you go through your advanced coursework and prepare for any qualifying exams if applicable. You want to be the guy who took the necessary pre-requisites, regardless of what your degree title is, because otherwise you'll be playing a lot of catch-up when you should be doing review and learning the more advanced material.

So if you really want a master's degree in computer engineering, or if you at least think that's a potential field you'd like to get into, then check out a few graduate programs and learn what their entry requirements are. As a sophomore in a related area it might still be possible to re-arrange your schedule to get a degree that's more in line with your final goals.

Related to Getting a Masters with a Computer Science degree

1. What is the benefit of getting a Masters with a Computer Science degree?

Obtaining a Masters degree in Computer Science can provide a higher level of expertise and knowledge in the field, making you a more competitive job candidate. It can also open up opportunities for higher paying positions and potential for career advancement.

2. Can I get a Masters in Computer Science if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, many universities offer Masters programs in Computer Science for students with non-Computer Science undergraduate degrees. However, some prerequisite courses may be required to ensure a strong foundation in the subject.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a Masters in Computer Science?

The length of a Masters program in Computer Science can vary, but it generally takes 1-2 years to complete full-time. Part-time options may also be available, which can extend the length of the program.

4. What are the common courses included in a Masters in Computer Science program?

Some common courses in a Masters in Computer Science program include advanced topics in programming languages, algorithms, data structures, operating systems, and software engineering. Students may also have the opportunity to specialize in a specific area, such as artificial intelligence or cybersecurity.

5. Is a thesis required for a Masters in Computer Science?

This varies by university and program. Some programs may require a thesis, while others may offer a non-thesis option that typically involves completing additional coursework or a capstone project. It is important to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in.