1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting confused on how to determine which equation to use?

1. Jan 16, 2014 #1
    So we are talking about velocity and acceleration, as well as the Kinetic Motion equations. Everyone is saying to make a chart, if you will, seeing which variables are present and which one you need. They say this will help you in picking an equation. However, I am still really having a hard time in picking the variables out of a problem...Does anyone have any tips or maybe a sample problem that you could pick the variable out of so I could see a sample?

Thank you so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2014 #2
    I think you need to get a feel for it. You can do this best, in my opinion, by working lots of problems. Nothing beats experience and practice.

Chet

4. Jan 16, 2014 #3

adjacent

Gold Member

Its so easy,for example,:
    A car initially traveling with a velocity of 100m/s comes to rest in 30s.
    What is the distance travelled during this time?

The variables here are initial velocity,final velocity and time so you can use ##S=\frac{1}{2}(u+v)t##
    Try to write all the equations and find the one with all the variable in question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted