Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting connection reset errors

1. Jul 31, 2009 #1

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Getting "connection reset" errors

Today I've had several errors when following links around the forums, but refreshing the page works immediately. The error occurs immediately (not like a timeout) and the "errors details" say that the connection was reset by the server.

Here's what Google Chrome gives as error details:

Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown error.

This could be a bug in Chrome, as I've not seen it when using Firefox, but since I use Chrome much more than Firefox that could also just be chance. Anyone else see the same problem, and if so with what browser?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2009 #2
    Re: Getting "connection reset" errors

How does the error present itself?

4. Jul 31, 2009 #3

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

In Google Chrome, instead of the web page, I get the following:

This webpage is not available.

The webpage at https://www.physicsforums.com/ might be temporarily down or it may
    have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error

If I click on the "More information" link I get the following:

Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown error.

If I click on the refresh button, I usually immediately get the right page, although I think it has sometimes taken a further attempt before it works.

5. Jul 31, 2009 #4

I will investigate and get back to you.

6. Jul 31, 2009 #5

I did a quick google search for "Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET) chrome" and got lots of results. Doesn't look like a PF problem.

7. Jul 31, 2009 #6

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

That might be partly because it's called other things in other browsers, which tend to describe things in text where Chrome just gives the internal stuff.

However, I now see that when I guessed the format of the message (based on a previous similar message which I had copied), I missed an important point which does tend to point to a Chrome bug this time. It actually says "null" instead of a web server address:

This web page is not available.

The web page at null might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error

I'm now getting this problem very frequently, getting worse by the minute!

8. Jul 31, 2009 #7

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I still can't find any problem when using Firefox, so I think that there might well be a Google Chrome problem (it certainly wouldn't be the first). I humbly apologise for even hinting that it might have been the PF server!

9. Jul 31, 2009 #8

No problem, perhaps try and download/install chrome again, you could get a newer build.

10. Jul 31, 2009 #9

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I'm automatically picking up the "dev" stream; my build already changed twice in the last 24 hours! I've now raised a Chrome issue for it, but it is intermittent and might be tricky to track down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook