Getting connection reset errors in Chrome

In summary, people are reporting getting connection reset errors when following links around the forums. Google Chrome gives error details of "Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown error." If you click on the "More information" link, you will get the following: "Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown error. If you click on the refresh button, you usually immediately get the right page, although I think it has sometimes taken a further attempt before it works."
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
Getting "connection reset" errors

Today I've had several errors when following links around the forums, but refreshing the page works immediately. The error occurs immediately (not like a timeout) and the "errors details" say that the connection was reset by the server.

Here's what Google Chrome gives as error details:

Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown error.

This could be a bug in Chrome, as I've not seen it when using Firefox, but since I use Chrome much more than Firefox that could also just be chance. Anyone else see the same problem, and if so with what browser?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org

Greg Bernhardt said:
How does the error present itself?

In Google Chrome, instead of the web page, I get the following:

This webpage is not available.

The webpage at https://www.physicsforums.com/ might be temporarily down or it may
have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error

If I click on the "More information" link I get the following:

Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown error.

If I click on the refresh button, I usually immediately get the right page, although I think it has sometimes taken a further attempt before it works.

I did a quick google search for "Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET) chrome" and got lots of results. Doesn't look like a PF problem.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I did a quick google search for "Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET) chrome" and got lots of results. Doesn't look like a PF problem.

That might be partly because it's called other things in other browsers, which tend to describe things in text where Chrome just gives the internal stuff.

However, I now see that when I guessed the format of the message (based on a previous similar message which I had copied), I missed an important point which does tend to point to a Chrome bug this time. It actually says "null" instead of a web server address:

This web page is not available.

The web page at null might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error

I'm now getting this problem very frequently, getting worse by the minute!

I still can't find any problem when using Firefox, so I think that there might well be a Google Chrome problem (it certainly wouldn't be the first). I humbly apologise for even hinting that it might have been the PF server!

Jonathan Scott said:
I still can't find any problem when using Firefox, so I think that there might well be a Google Chrome problem (it certainly wouldn't be the first). I humbly apologise for even hinting that it might have been the PF server!

No problem, perhaps try and download/install chrome again, you could get a newer build.

Greg Bernhardt said:
No problem, perhaps try and download/install chrome again, you could get a newer build.

I'm automatically picking up the "dev" stream; my build already changed twice in the last 24 hours! I've now raised a Chrome issue for it, but it is intermittent and might be tricky to track down.

1. What are connection reset errors in Chrome?

Connection reset errors in Chrome are error messages that appear when the connection between your device and a website is interrupted or terminated unexpectedly. This can happen due to various reasons, such as network issues, server problems, or browser settings.

2. Why do I keep getting connection reset errors in Chrome?

There are several possible reasons for getting connection reset errors in Chrome. It could be due to network issues, such as a weak or unstable internet connection. It could also be caused by server problems, like a website being down or overloaded. Additionally, browser settings, such as security or firewall settings, may also be responsible for connection reset errors.

3. How can I fix connection reset errors in Chrome?

The first step to fixing connection reset errors in Chrome is to check your internet connection and make sure it is stable and functioning properly. If the issue persists, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, disabling any browser extensions, or resetting your browser settings. If the problem continues, it may be due to server issues, in which case you can try accessing the website at a later time.

4. Can malware or viruses cause connection reset errors in Chrome?

Yes, malware or viruses can potentially cause connection reset errors in Chrome. This is because they can interfere with your network connection or browser settings, leading to unexpected interruptions or terminations. It is important to regularly scan your device for malware and viruses and take necessary precautions to prevent them.

5. Are there any other possible causes for connection reset errors in Chrome?

Apart from network issues, server problems, browser settings, and malware/viruses, there can be other less common causes for connection reset errors in Chrome. These may include outdated browser versions, corrupted system files, or conflicts with other installed software. If none of the above solutions work, it may be helpful to seek further assistance from a technical support team.