Getting from non-imaginary to imaginary

• Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Imaginary
In summary: If you take the real part of each equation you getcos(x)=-.5e^{jx}sin(x)=-.5e^{j(90-x)} Which is what you get if you start with real quantities (U and I).
jaydnul
I was reading the derivation of capacitor reactance and I understand it up to the point where it is converted to polar coordinates. How do you get from
[tex]X=\frac{sin(wt)}{wCcos(wt)}[/tex]
to
[tex]X=\frac{1}{jwC}[/tex]

This implies that
[tex]\frac{sin(wt)}{cos(wt)}=-j[/tex]
And I'm confused how that is derived.

Thanks

Edit: reactance is X not Z

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you give some more background? Perhaps a reference? I've never seen reactance derived like this.

Assuming a sinosoidal voltage across the capacitor, the current will be the derivative of that waveform times C [itex](I=C\frac{dV}{dt})[/itex]. So to find reactance, you divide V by I:

[itex]V=sin(wt)[/itex]
[itex]I=wCcos(wt)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{V}{I}=X=\frac{sin(wt)}{wCcos(wt)}[/itex]

But X is also defined as
[itex]X=\frac{1}{jwC}[/itex]

I found it here

If you define the reactance as the ratio of the instantaneous values then is a time dependent quantity. This is not the usual definition of reactantce, which is a constant for a given component. The two definitions are not equivalent.

I think the root of my confusion comes down to not knowing why we use i. We couldn't use any letter (A+By) to represent the 2nd dimension because at some point the characteristics of i become significant (squaring it gives -1).

But how is the i derived in 1/jwc

It is not "derived". It comes from using complex representation for voltage and current.
You don't need it, it is just easier to do the math this way. If you start with real quantities (U and I) then the reactance will be real as well (just X=1/wC).

In complex representation
[itex]u=U_0 e^{i \omega t} [/itex]
[itex]i=I_0 e^{i( \omega t+\phi)} [/itex]
The relationship between u and i is
[itex] \frac{du}{dt}=\frac{1}{C}i [/itex]
Plugging in and simplifying the [itex]e^{i \omega t}[/itex] you get
[itex]U_0 i \omega =\frac{I_0}{C} e^{i \phi} [/itex]
This holds if [itex]\phi=90^o [/itex] and [itex]U_o=\frac{I_0}{i \omega C}[/itex] or Uo=Io*X

Now try to do the same in sin and cos representation and see what you get.

Wait, wouldn't euler's forumula get you there from my original definition anyways?

According to euler:
[itex]cos(x)=.5(e^{jx}+e^{-jx})[/itex]
[itex]sin(x)=.5(e^{j(90-x)}+e^{-j(90-x)})[/itex]

And if you divide these, it comes out to 1/j, right?

I don't see how. See yourself if it does.
For me looks like a function of x, not a constant.

1. How does one transition from non-imaginary to imaginary?

The process of transitioning from non-imaginary to imaginary is a complex one that involves a combination of cognitive, emotional, and creative processes. It often begins with the exploration and acceptance of one's imagination and the ability to think beyond what is tangible and logical. This can be aided by engaging in activities such as meditation, visualization, and creative exercises.

2. Is it possible for everyone to tap into their imagination?

Yes, it is possible for everyone to tap into their imagination. While some individuals may have a more developed or active imagination, everyone has the ability to imagine and create. It may take practice and effort to access one's imagination, but it is a skill that can be cultivated and strengthened.

3. What are the benefits of having an active imagination?

An active imagination can have numerous benefits, both personally and professionally. It can enhance problem-solving skills, increase creativity and innovation, and improve critical thinking abilities. It can also provide a sense of inner freedom and exploration, leading to personal growth and self-discovery.

4. Are there any risks associated with having a strong imagination?

While having an active imagination can bring many positive benefits, there can also be potential risks. For some individuals, an overactive imagination can lead to anxiety, irrational fears, or difficulty distinguishing between reality and fantasy. It is important to maintain a balance and use healthy coping mechanisms to manage any negative effects of a strong imagination.

5. How can one use their imagination in a scientific context?

Imagination plays a crucial role in the scientific process. It allows scientists to think beyond what is currently known and explore new ideas and hypotheses. It also aids in problem-solving and finding creative solutions to complex scientific problems. Additionally, imagination can be used to communicate scientific concepts and ideas in a more engaging and accessible way for a wider audience.