Getting into grad school with a less than amazing record

In summary: I will retake the GREs next year though.In summary, this individual had a very difficult semester due to a bacterial infection. Their grades and GRE scores suffered, and their gpa also fell a bit. Despite this, they have a lot of research experience and good recommendations, and are thinking of staying in school another semester to try and raise their gpa. They think that this might damage their chances of getting into a physics graduate school, but there is still hope.
diewlasing
Hello all.

Problem: This semester I fell ill with a bad bacterial infection and was ill for a while (with temporary partial hearing loss in one ear). It caused my grades and GRE scores to suffer IMMENSELY. I can't retake the physics GRE but I am retaking the general one. And also my grades this semester caused my gpa to fall below 3.0 (but only slightly, not much). But I also have a ton of research experience and really good recommendation. I'm thinking of staying in school another semester to take courses to bring back up my gpa but I'm unsure. Does anyone have an idea how much this will damage my chances of getting into a physics grad school?

P.S. I'm a natural born US citizen and native English speaker (I've been told this works in your favor)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
diewlasing said:
Hello all.

Problem: This semester I fell ill with a bad bacterial infection and was ill for a while (with temporary partial hearing loss in one ear). It caused my grades and GRE scores to suffer IMMENSELY. I can't retake the physics GRE but I am retaking the general one. And also my grades this semester caused my gpa to fall below 3.0 (but only slightly, not much). But I also have a ton of research experience and really good recommendation. I'm thinking of staying in school another semester to take courses to bring back up my gpa but I'm unsure. Does anyone have an idea how much this will damage my chances of getting into a physics grad school?

P.S. I'm a natural born US citizen and native English speaker (I've been told this works in your favor)

Thanks!

I have a somewhat similar experience, but I did not get sick. I just had my buisiest semester ever. My gre scores are crap to say the least(630 phys, 490 verbal(small vocabulary)). THey do not reflect my abilities. But I have been published twice, once in a major journal, and the other as first author. I have a near perfect physics gpa, and have taken more physics classes than any other student in the department. My school gpa is very good aswell. MY recommendations should be good. While i will have deficiencies I hope that graduate schools will over look my gre scores and actually evaluate my real potential as a student. While bad scores will eliminate you from some schools, they will not eliminate you from all. Do like me and apply to a whole range of schools from the best to the worst. (it doesn't hurt that my first choice is not the best school). Most of all don't give up (I haven't amazingly.) And if you don't get in get a good job for a year and try again. That is my plan. But I hope that I get into a graduate program. I think that I will get into alteast one. One of the programs that I will apply to, a friend with much worse scores applied to and got in, so there is hope.

good luck.Oh a couple of recommendations:
1) get started now. Most apps are due soon
2) for future takers of the Physics GRE don't answer too many questions. I got 48 correct, but because i got so many wrong it ended up killing my score.

I think it's a good idea to stay in school for another term (and to retake the GRE), but not to raise your GPA (although it will do that too). The low grades are a symptom of not having learned the material while you were sick. The smart thing to do is to make sure you've learned it before moving on.

Well actually, in all of my physics classes I get good grades, I finished those last year, I've just been doing electives and core requirements since. And on the GREs, it's not that I didn't know the material, its that was nauseous and the proctors didn't allow water or anything, even tissues, and the cold chills from the fever wasn't really a great asset in helping my focus. And I don't have time to take the GREs again, even if I stay on another semester.

1. Can I still get into grad school with a less than stellar undergraduate record?

Yes, it is possible to get into grad school with a less than amazing record. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors when evaluating applicants, including letters of recommendation, personal statements, and relevant experience. It is important to highlight your strengths and explain any weaknesses in your application.

2. What can I do to improve my chances of getting into grad school with a less than perfect record?

There are a few things you can do to improve your chances. First, consider retaking any classes you did poorly in to show improvement and dedication to your academic growth. Additionally, gaining relevant experience in your field through internships, research projects, or volunteer work can also strengthen your application.

3. Will a high GRE score make up for a low undergraduate GPA?

While a high GRE score can certainly help, it may not completely make up for a low undergraduate GPA. Admissions committees look at the entire application, so it is important to have a well-rounded profile. However, a high GRE score can help demonstrate your academic abilities and potential for success in a graduate program.

4. Should I address my low undergraduate record in my personal statement?

It is up to you whether or not you want to address your low undergraduate record in your personal statement. If you have a valid reason for your low grades, such as personal challenges or extenuating circumstances, it may be beneficial to explain them in your personal statement. However, if there is no specific reason and you are able to showcase your strengths in other areas, it may not be necessary to mention it.

5. Is it better to apply to a less competitive graduate program with my record?

It ultimately depends on your goals and the specific programs you are interested in. While a less competitive program may be more likely to accept you with a lower academic record, it is important to consider if it aligns with your career aspirations and if it will provide you with the education and resources you need. It may also be worth considering applying to a mix of both competitive and less competitive programs to increase your chances of acceptance.