Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting into mathematical physics

1. Apr 23, 2007 #1
    I am close to finishing my undergrad, but so far my background is solely math. I would like to get into mathematical physics though.

Should I get another undergrad degree, this time in physics, or is there another way to approach this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What kind of physics background do you have? You might consider taking some upper level undergraduate courses... possibly while in graduate school. You might also seek a graduate program with mathematical physicists, who may be better able to convey some of the "physical intuition" that will be helpful.
  4. Apr 23, 2007 #3
    Well, currently I have 0 physics courses under my belt, though I have read some stuff on my own.
  5. Apr 24, 2007 #4

Yeah -- just seek out a PhD which will enable you to use the skills you have with a physics application.

Certainly, in Europe, there would be no need to have taken any physics subjects. However, in the US you still have to take classes as a grad student (right?) so it may be different...
  6. May 1, 2007 #5
    Well, can anybody recommend good books for physics that somebody who already has a very strong math background should look into?
  7. May 1, 2007 #6
    Mmmm would feynmen's lectures help any?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?