Getting into mathematical physics

In summary, the conversation is about someone who is close to finishing their undergraduate degree in math, but wants to get into mathematical physics. They are considering getting another undergraduate degree in physics or finding another way to approach their goal. It is suggested that they take upper level undergraduate courses or seek out a graduate program with mathematical physicists who can help with the "physical intuition" aspect. The person currently has no physics background but has read some material on their own. It is mentioned that in Europe, there is no need for prior physics courses, but in the US it may be required for graduate school. They also ask for book recommendations, with the suggestion of Feynman's lectures.
DeadWolfe
I am close to finishing my undergrad, but so far my background is solely math. I would like to get into mathematical physics though.

Should I get another undergrad degree, this time in physics, or is there another way to approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of physics background do you have? You might consider taking some upper level undergraduate courses... possibly while in graduate school. You might also seek a graduate program with mathematical physicists, who may be better able to convey some of the "physical intuition" that will be helpful.

Well, currently I have 0 physics courses under my belt, though I have read some stuff on my own.

Yeah -- just seek out a PhD which will enable you to use the skills you have with a physics application.

Certainly, in Europe, there would be no need to have taken any physics subjects. However, in the US you still have to take classes as a grad student (right?) so it may be different...

Well, can anybody recommend good books for physics that somebody who already has a very strong math background should look into?

Mmmm would feynmen's lectures help any?

1. What exactly is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a branch of science that combines the principles and methods of mathematics with the theories and laws of physics to describe and understand physical phenomena. It involves using mathematical concepts and techniques to analyze and solve problems in physics, such as predicting the behavior of particles, describing the properties of matter, and modeling complex systems.

2. What qualifications are needed to pursue a career in mathematical physics?

To pursue a career in mathematical physics, you will typically need a strong background in mathematics and physics. Most universities offer undergraduate and graduate programs in both fields, which will provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills. Additionally, having a strong aptitude for problem-solving and critical thinking is important for success in this field.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area of mathematical physics?

Yes, you can specialize in a specific area of mathematical physics, such as quantum mechanics, relativity, or statistical mechanics. Many universities offer graduate programs that allow students to focus on a particular subfield of mathematical physics and conduct research in that area.

4. What career opportunities are available in mathematical physics?

Career opportunities in mathematical physics include research positions in academia, government agencies, and private companies. Many mathematical physicists also work in industries such as engineering, finance, and computer science, where their problem-solving skills are highly valued. Additionally, mathematical physicists can also pursue teaching positions at universities and colleges.

5. What are some important skills for a mathematical physicist to have?

Some important skills for a mathematical physicist to have include a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and proficiency in computer programming and data analysis. It is also important to have good communication skills to present complex concepts and findings to a wide range of audiences.