Getting into the depths of a proof

• Thread starter evagelos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the theorem is distributivity of multiplication over addition, and the law is the symmetrical relation "=". The definition is that for all,nεN,xεR:x^n=xx^{n-1}. Using these, we can deduce the first and second statements of the proof.
evagelos
For the following proof:

[tex](a+b)^2 = (a+b)(a+b) = (a+b)a +(a+b)b =a^2 +b^2 +2ab[/tex].

Write:

a) a list of theorems and definition involved in the proof.

b) a list of the laws of logic involved in the proof by transforming the theorems and the definitions of the proof into the statements of the proof

Physics news on Phys.org
evagelos said:
For the following proof:

[tex](a+b)^2 = (a+b)(a+b) = (a+b)a +(a+b)b =a^2 +b^2 +2ab[/tex].

Write:

b) a list of the laws of logic involved in the proof by transforming the theorems and the definitions of the proof into the statements of the proof

Hi evagelos! :smile:

You first! :wink:

Start with (a+b)2 = (a+b)(a+b) :smile:

well, the main thing you use here is distributivity of multiplication over addition and the fact that "=" is a symmetrical relation, and rules of general calculation.

for example

the first thing you do is:

[tex]{(a+b)}^2={(a+b)(a+b)}[/tex] because that's how multiplication of a number with itself a a finite amount of times is defined: [tex]{x*x*x*...*x \ n \ times \ is} \ x^n[/tex] and because "=" is a symmetrical relation (meaning that if x=y then y=x)

than you use the fact that multiplication is distributive over addition (and again that "=" is symmetrical) to expand the expression and get (a+b)(a+b)=(a+b)a+(a+b)b and so on and so forth... that's for a) and for b) you list the rules of deduction that "allow" those computation to be made (such as if [tex]{(P\rightarrow S)and(P)[/tex] is true, then S is true).

hope you get the idea. :)

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
Hi evagelos! :smile:

You first! :wink:

Should we say that the definition involved is:

for all ,nεN , xεR : [tex] x^n = xx^{n-1}[/tex] ?

evagelos said:

you must say that for any set [tex]S[/tex] closed under an associative algebraic operation "[tex]\ast[/tex]" i.e. ([tex]S , \ast[/tex]) is a semigroup,

[tex]\forall x \in S[/tex] , [tex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex] , [tex]x^n = \underbrace{x \ast x \ast ... \ast x}_{n \ times}[/tex] .

that the algebraic operation is associative is very important (the definition doesn't hold if the operation is not associative)...
but x needn't necessarily be a real number. for example the definition "works" for ([tex]\mathbb{Z}_n , \cdot[/tex]) as well.

Last edited:
evagelos said:
Write:

tiny-tim said:
evagelos said:

erm :redface:

actually all i was expecting you to say was that it's a definition … x2 = xx :wink:

ok … now (a+b)(a+b) = (a+b)a + (a+b)b ?​

tiny-tim said:
erm :redface:

actually all i was expecting you to say was that it's a definition … x2 = xx :wink:

ok … now (a+b)(a+b) = (a+b)a + (a+b)b ?​

should we say now for that statement responsible is the axiom : for all ,x,y,z : z(x+y) = zx + zy??

evagelos said:
should we say now for that statement responsible is the axiom : for all ,x,y,z : z(x+y) = zx + zy??

Yes (well, the other way round :wink:).

(and that's called the "…" law ? :smile:)

ok, now (a+b)a + (a+b)b = a2 + b2 + 2ab ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Yes (well, the other way round :wink:).

(and that's called the "…" law ? :smile:)

ok, now (a+b)a + (a+b)b = a2 + b2 + 2ab ? :smile:

No .the other way round ,because if you put ; z= a+b , x=a ,y = b we have:

z(x+y) = (a+b)a + (a+b)b and to use the same distributive law we must use commutativity and change ,(a+b)a + (a+b)b to a(a+b) + b(a+b) ,and using again distributivity we have:

[tex] a^2 + ab + ab + b^2 [/tex]

Now we must prove that : ab + ab = 2ab

evagelos said:
… Now we must prove that : ab + ab = 2ab

That's easy … ab + ab = ab(1) + ab(1) :wink:

ok, now part (b)

(if I were you, I'd do that tomorrow :zzz:)

O.K we curry on tomorrow

tiny-tim said:
That's easy … ab + ab = ab(1) + ab(1) :wink:

ok, now part (b)

(if I were you, I'd do that tomorrow :zzz:)

O.K ,you start first now.

evagelos said:
O.K ,you start first now.

hmm … logic isn't my strong point. :rolleyes:

ok, well I suppose it must involve the principle that things which are equal to a third thing are equal to each other?

phew! :redface:

your turn! :smile:

tiny-tim said:

ok, well I suppose it must involve the principle that things which are equal to a third thing are equal to each other?

By applying two times the law of Universal Elimination on the definition:

for all, nεN ,xεR : [tex] x^n = xx^{n-1}[/tex] ,where we put n=2 and x = a+b

we have the 1st statement of the proof;

[tex](a+b)^2 =(a+b)(a+b)[/tex]

Now what theorem or axiom and what law, the application of which will give us the 2nd statement of the proof i.e

(a+b)(a+b) = (a+b)a + (a+b)b,
do we have to use??

tiny-tim said:

I'm not exactly sure how things work around here (if only homework helpers should post or something like that... if it wasn't appropriate for me to post I apologize but...).

Now, I think part b) asks for logical rules of inference (such as modus ponens, reduction ad absurdum, introduction rules etc) used when proving the statement...

I noticed that the depths of this proof "oughtn't" be too rigorous (silly me:confused:) but "things which are equal to a third thing are equal to each other" while correct (it follows from the fact that "=" is an equivalence relation -the identity relation-, or since we're talking about logic, from the fact that the equality predicate is transitive), is not a rule of inference.

anyway, I think I intruded enough here, so I'll take my leave. :smile:

Last edited:
tauon said:
I'm not exactly sure how things work around here (if only homework helpers should post or something like that... if it wasn't appropriate for me to post I apologize but...).

Now, I think part b) asks for logical rules of inference (such as modus ponens, reduction ad absurdum, introduction rules etc) used when proving the statement...

I noticed that the depths of this proof "oughtn't" be too rigorous (silly me:confused:) but "things which are equal to a third thing are equal to each other" while correct (it follows from the fact that "=" is an equivalence relation -the identity relation-, or since we're talking about logic, from the fact that the equality predicate is transitive), is not a rule of inference.

anyway, I think I intruded enough here, so I'll take my leave. :smile:

You are right it is a theorem concerning the predicate of equality

1. What are the key steps to understanding a complex proof?

Understanding a complex proof involves breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by reading through the entire proof to get a general understanding of the overall structure. Then, identify the key definitions, assumptions, and theorems used in the proof. Next, carefully follow the logical flow of the proof, paying attention to each step and how it relates to the previous ones. Finally, take time to reflect on each step and make connections between them to fully grasp the proof.

2. How can I improve my proof-writing skills?

Practice is the key to improving your proof-writing skills. Start with simple proofs and work your way up to more complex ones. Make sure to clearly state your assumptions and definitions, and use logical and concise language. Also, seek feedback from others, as they may offer valuable insights and suggestions for improvement.

3. How do I know if my proof is correct?

A proof is considered correct if it follows a logical and rigorous approach, and if it can withstand scrutiny from others. To ensure the correctness of your proof, double-check your assumptions, definitions, and reasoning. Also, ask a colleague or mentor to review your proof and provide constructive criticism.

4. How can I deal with obstacles or challenges in a proof?

Obstacles or challenges in a proof are common and should be expected. If you encounter a particularly difficult step, take a break and come back to it later with fresh eyes. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking guidance from others. Remember to be patient and persistent, as solving obstacles in a proof can be a rewarding and valuable learning experience.

5. How can I apply proof techniques to real-life problems?

Proof techniques can be applied to real-life problems by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by clearly defining the problem and any assumptions or constraints. Then, use logical and rigorous reasoning to come up with a solution. Remember to reflect on each step and make connections, just like you would in a proof. With practice, you can apply proof techniques to a wide range of real-life problems.