Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting My S10 Ready for Winter Question

1. Oct 21, 2005 #1

I plan on putting about 200 to 300 pounds of salt in the back of my S10 to improve the traction this winter, since it is rear wheel drive only. My question: is it better to place the weight directly over the rear axel or put it as far to the rear of the truck as possible? I was thinking there may be some mechanical advantage/leverage issue of putting it further back. I plan on building a wood frame to keep it from sliding around in the bed.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Put it as far back as possible. You're right about the leverage, the farther back it goes, the more it tends to 'lift' the front end and that additional weight is then added to the back.
  4. Oct 21, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Of course, if you go overboard with that you'll loose steering control and front-end braking. A couple of hundred pounds shouldn't have any significant effect that way, but it's something to keep in mind if you plan to be piling other stuff in there too.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?