Preparing for Precalculus: What to Know Beforehand

In summary, Precalculus is a course that focuses on algebra and trigonometry, with some exposure to analytical geometry. Prior knowledge of trigonometry can be beneficial for success in the course. Additional resources, such as the websites provided, can be helpful for further understanding of the topics.
amenon
I am going to be taking Precalculus next year and I was wondering if there was anything specific that I should now about. What kind of things do you learn in Precalculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
Precalculus is more algebra practice (you can never have enough!) on topics that are specifically used in calculus.

Here's a link to Harvard's precalculus webstite:
http://users.rcn.com/econnally/math/courses/e10/
that should be good enough!

Thanks HallsofIvy!
The site helped alot

When I took pre-calc, the students who went in with some prior knowledge of trig fared much better than those who had no exposure to it.

In addition to algebra and trignometry, our HS calculus program consisted of one trimester of analytical geometry.

Here is another site, which gives an overview -
http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~marx/precalculus.html

1. What topics should I review before starting precalculus?

Before starting precalculus, it is helpful to review basic algebra including factoring, solving equations and inequalities, and graphing linear equations. It is also important to have a strong understanding of basic geometry concepts such as angles, triangles, and the Pythagorean theorem. Additionally, having a solid foundation in functions, including linear, quadratic, exponential, and logarithmic functions, will be beneficial.

2. Do I need to know trigonometry before taking precalculus?

While precalculus does include trigonometry concepts, it is not essential to have a thorough understanding of trigonometry before starting the course. However, having a basic understanding of trigonometric functions, including sine, cosine, and tangent, will make learning precalculus concepts easier.

3. What are the key skills I should have before taking precalculus?

Some key skills that are important for success in precalculus include problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematical reasoning. It is also important to have strong algebraic skills and the ability to analyze and interpret graphs and data.

4. How can I prepare for precalculus over the summer?

One way to prepare for precalculus over the summer is to review and practice basic algebra and geometry concepts. You can also explore precalculus topics on your own by using online resources or textbooks. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the calculator you will use in precalculus can be helpful.

5. What are some common mistakes students make in precalculus?

Some common mistakes students make in precalculus include not understanding the underlying concepts and relying too heavily on memorization, not practicing enough and not seeking help when needed, and not showing all steps in their work. It is important to actively engage with the material and seek clarification when needed in order to avoid these mistakes.