Why Does My Bathroom GFCI Keep Tripping and Won't Reset?

In summary: The GFCI outlet is in the bathroom. There are no other outlets on that breaker circuit. When you say "there is no power in the bathroom", is that just for that one outlet, or do the lights not work now too?There is no power in the bathroom for days now.
Fawn23
Im not sure if I am allowed to post this here. I have a question regarding gfci

Our gfci in the bathroom tripped. Steam was accumulated due to hot bath, and then a hairdryer is used. After around 10min,the gfci tripped. It won't reset. Tried switching the circuit breaker off and turning back on,but nothing happened. Still won't reset.

Anything i can do to fix it? Or an electrician is necessary. Theres no power inside the bathroom for days now. Please help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd try just replacing the outlet. They aren't too expensive to replace, especially considering the cost of an electrician. HOWEVER, that assumes you know what you're doing. If you've never done any work on an electrical circuit I HIGHLY recommend just calling a certified electrician. A previous owner of my house did a poor job when installing an outlet and it could have burned my house down (sparks from exposed wiring shot out when the outlet was moved slightly when tightening the screw holding the cover on the outlet).

Electricity is dangerous in multiple ways. Don't underestimate it and don't assume that you can just 'figure it out as you go'. You run the risk of you or your loved ones paying the price.

Likes Asymptotic, russ_watters and davenn
Fawn23 said:
Im not sure if I am allowed to post this here. I have a question regarding gfci

Our gfci in the bathroom tripped. Steam was accumulated due to hot bath, and then a hairdryer is used. After around 10min,the gfci tripped. It won't reset. Tried switching the circuit breaker off and turning back on,but nothing happened. Still won't reset.

Anything i can do to fix it? Or an electrician is necessary. Theres no power inside the bathroom for days now. Please help!

Flip the breaker for the bathroom socket, remove socket, dry it with a hairdryer, refit.

If still no go, replace socket.

Likes berkeman and Asymptotic
At the risk of saying something obvious, do you know how to reset a GFCI? There is a small red rectangular button on the front face. It pops out a little bit when the GFCI trips. Push that button with the tip of your finger to reset it. If it was tripped, you will hear or feel a click.

Likes jim hardy
anorlunda said:
At the risk of saying something obvious, do you know how to reset a GFCI? There is a small red rectangular button on the front face. It pops out a little bit when the GFCI trips. Push that button with the tip of your finger to reset it. If it was tripped, you will hear or feel a click.
... and if you didn’t know that ^^^, definitely call an electrician out to sort it😜

Fawn23 said:
Tried switching the circuit breaker off and turning back on,but nothing happened. Still won't reset.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you take a picture of the GFCI outlet and Attach that file in a reply? We'd like to be sure it's the type of GFCI outlet that we are expecting. Also, how do you know that breaker was for that outlet? Are there any other outlets on that breaker circuit that are also not working? When you say "there is no power in the bathroom", is that just for that one outlet, or do the lights not work now too?

Stupid things are sometimes done when a house is wired, yet they pass inspection. An example I can think of is a basement bathroom GFCI feeds the garage circuit(s) which also need GFCI protection. So, the garage goes dead and a trip to the basement to reset the GFCI outlet in the bathroom is required. Now that being said, is there another GFCI outlet ahead of the one in the bathroom that could be tripped that is not known about?

Likes berkeman

1. What is a GFCI and why does it trip?

A GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) is an electrical safety device that is designed to protect against electrical shock. It works by constantly monitoring the flow of electricity in a circuit. If it detects even a small imbalance in the current, such as a ground fault or leakage of electricity, it will trip to cut off the power and prevent potential harm.

2. What are the common causes of a GFCI trip?

There are several potential causes for a GFCI trip, including a ground fault or leakage of electricity, moisture or water near the outlet, a faulty appliance or device, or a problem with the wiring in the circuit.

3. How can I troubleshoot a GFCI trip?

Start by unplugging all devices and appliances from the GFCI outlet and pressing the reset button. If the GFCI does not trip, then one of the devices or appliances is likely causing the problem. Plug them back in one at a time until the GFCI trips again to identify the culprit. If the GFCI trips immediately, there may be a problem with the outlet or wiring. In this case, it is best to consult a licensed electrician.

4. Can I replace a GFCI outlet myself?

It is possible to replace a GFCI outlet yourself, but it is recommended to hire a licensed electrician for safety reasons. If you do decide to replace it yourself, be sure to turn off the power to the outlet before beginning any work and follow all safety precautions.

5. How often should GFCI outlets be tested?

GFCI outlets should be tested at least once a month to ensure they are working properly. To test, press the test button and make sure the GFCI trips and the power is cut off. Then, press the reset button to restore power. If the GFCI does not trip, it may be faulty and should be replaced.