Giant list of science fair project ideas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
130 replies · 181K views
albrock06 said:
I've always wanted to try a little project of my own. It would take a week or so to start it up, but hey, science didn't happen over night.

I wanted to make a bacteria culture (or a few of them). Maybe grow them in my garage. I'd have to make a little stable box to keep them in. ... find some little petri dishes and whatnot.

Then, using different household objects (not cleaning supplies; that's cheating), I'd try to make my own sanitizer. (I was thinking ... food items. Like onions, vinager, lemon juice. You know ... just normal stuff you'd find in the pantry.)

I'd apply a bit to each culture and see what kills what and how long it takes. My chemistry teacher would love me to pieces.

But still, there are some questions left. Like ... where do you get the bacteria? Dad's mouth when he first wakes up in the morning? Should I grow some nice pretty green mold? :shrugs: Sounds fun, any way you do it. :smile:

check out for p-trap experiment you will get the answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
the thing is i must not repeat same old projects i need to develop on existing projects or create a new project. can anyone help me?pleasezzz
 
Diet coke and mentos or galvanization of a nail using zinc plate, a nail then compare it with a rusted nail and how galvanization is used in buildings today.
 
Hi, everything on the lists are great ideas, you ca have it in grade school and high school science project. And I have one for my son's project and it themes with environment.
 
Ok so I need a good science fair project for me and my friend. We need to turn in the project IDEA by this Friday so we only have 5 days left to turn in our idea, but we have until (I think) February to do our project. I love any type of physics, though mainly theoretical, but there are very few theoretical physics project mainly because of the high levels of mathematics needed for them.

So to sum it up we want to do a physics project. But subject wise, we don't really care with sub category of physics. We though particle physics would be really cool...but couldn't think of an idea for particle physics :/

So far the best ideas i have are:
Effects of temperature on resistors/generators
Outside radiation effects on radio waves
I also thought it would be awesome to create a hologram, but we need to have a hypothesis ect. and I could not think of one.

Oh and finally we want this to be somewhat unique...so please don't just tell us what to do experiment wise, just help us start off by pointing out some interesting subjects or ideas we should look into. Except for the hologram case. If anyone has ANY ideas on how to turn the hologram idea into a experiment fire away :P

Thank you guys!
 
Find out how much exercise you get from the Wii Fit or Wii Sport in comparison to the real sports.
 
I tried Electrolysis. God I made an H-Bomb, using mains as power supply. It successfully worked though, demonstrating the oxygen and Hydrogen Test.
 
Why do oranges and lemons smell different?

You can investigate the chirality and explain mirror molecules. You can extract limonene from the orange via steam distillation and layer it over the lemon and show why they now smell the same.
 
Someone could make an experiment replicating, but improving, the infamous doll experiment. It bugs me, there are usually so many uncontrolled variables.
 
How about a science fair project on trying to repeat science experiments? It's scary how much science is NOT repeatable or extremely difficult to repeat. We had a visitor from the NIST a few months back. He talked about a very, very, very simple assay to measure the number of cells dying in response to drug X. They sent out the same exact cell line to 10 different labs and gave them all the same exact assay to run using the same method. The variation in the results obtained was truly shocking. The statistics were all over the place. If a simple tox assay can't be repeated by the different labs, how much science out there that is much more complicated won't be able to be repeated?
 
linear particle accelerator. If you can find a vacuum pump.