Giant Tsunami-Shaped Clouds Roll Across Alabama Sky

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roll Sky
In summary, a series of bizarre and cool-looking cloud formations have been spotted in different parts of the world, including Alabama and the UK. These clouds have been compared to mammatus clouds and are caused by Kelvin-Helmholtz instability. People have been fascinated by the unique appearance of these clouds and have shared photos and links to further explain the phenomenon.
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...

Very weird

Wow, those clouds or so cool! Nice picture :!)

That's so bizarre! And cool!

Looks like something from a Tim Burton set, I love it!

just great. so now we're going to have tornadoes that are upside down.

edit:

yikes, i just noticed that the line that those clouds are sitting on is right near where the tornado came through. it might have just been a bit north of that, but not by far.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
More strange clouds, in the UK. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-16302606
Those are cool. We had a thread on clouds a few years ago, some were pretty scary. I think the lenticular coulds 6 of 7 is pretty scary.

Thanks for the link!

What causes giant tsunami-shaped clouds?

These clouds, also known as "roll clouds," are formed by a phenomenon called a "gravity wave." This occurs when a large amount of air is forced downward by atmospheric conditions, creating a wave-like pattern that can be seen in the clouds.

Are giant tsunami-shaped clouds dangerous?

These clouds themselves are not dangerous, as they are simply a visual effect caused by atmospheric conditions. However, they can be an indicator of potentially severe weather, such as strong winds or thunderstorms, that may pose a danger to people and property.

Can giant tsunami-shaped clouds turn into actual tsunamis?

No, these clouds have no relation to actual tsunamis, which are caused by seismic activity in the ocean. The term "tsunami-shaped" is simply used to describe the visual appearance of the clouds, not their behavior or potential to cause a tsunami.

How rare are giant tsunami-shaped clouds?

While not extremely common, these clouds are not necessarily rare either. They are most commonly seen in areas with high humidity and unstable atmospheric conditions, such as coastal regions.

Are giant tsunami-shaped clouds studied by scientists?

Yes, scientists are interested in studying these clouds as they can provide valuable information about atmospheric dynamics and weather patterns. They can also be used as an indicator of potential severe weather events, allowing for better forecasting and preparation.