Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gibb's phase rule degrees of freedom

1. Feb 3, 2015 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

Hello,
    I am watching this video to try and better understand Gibb's Phase rule

The part of interest starts at 4:30

I like that he is using a visual to explain, which is very helpful. When there is 1 phase and one component, there are 2 degrees of freedom. This means two variables can be changed. This is clear when he shows the gas phase of the P-T diagram where changing either the temperature or pressure remains in the same region as a gas.

He also shows when there are 3 phases, which is at the triple point, you have zero degrees of freedom. He shows the triple point on the P-T diagram, and if you change the either the temperature or pressure, you will no longer be at the triple point, hence will not have 3 phases.

What seems to break down for me is when there are 2 phases. Thus there is one degree of freedom. He shows the line between the liquid and gas phase, and seems to justify that you can change either P or T, but not both, and you will still have two phases. However, when I look at it, it seems like if you change either P or T, then you will leave that gas/liquid phase line. It seems like you would need to change P and T precisely to remain on the line, thus having 2 degrees of freedom.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2015 #2

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can also think about degrees of freedom as telling you something about the "space" that can be occupied on a P-T phase diagram.

DoF = 2 ==> two dimensions. You are in the area between bounding lines in the T,P phase diagram. You can have lots of different T's and P's (you can vary both T and P at the same time, and still remain in the one-phase region)
    DoF = 0 ==> zero dimensions. You are at a single point. The triple point. There is only one T and one P that will work. Zero Degrees of freedom (you can't vary T, or P)
    DoF = 1 ==> one dimesnion. You are on one of the lines. A coexistence curve. For any T (there are many that are possible), there is only one P. One degree of freedom. (You can vary T, but then you are stuck with one P for any given T. Conversely, you can vary P, but then you are stuck with a single T for any given P.)

4. Feb 3, 2015 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

Ok that makes sense, that was what I was starting to think after I wrote my OP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook