Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Give the ranks of both the matrix of coefficients and the augmented

1. Oct 18, 2007 #1
    Hey!
    I was looking at some problems since I have a mid term tomorrow and dont get how to do this one perhaps someone can help!

[​IMG]

I dont know if im doing this right but i went backwards and found the vector equation to look like

x = 1 + 3t - s
    y = s
    z = t

(x,y,z) = (1,0,0) + t(3,0,1) + s(-1,1,0)
    [1 1 3 l 1]
    [0 0 0 l 0]
    [0 0 0 l 0]

do the rank of the augmented matrix is 1 and does that mean the rank of the coefficient matrix is also 1 ?

b) for b part should i just plug in that coordinate in the x,y,z vecotr form to solve for s, and t and hope for the same answer to show it is a solution

c) for c should i use the two vectors given from the vector equation s(-1,1,0) and t(3,0,1)

d) not sure how to find distance between two planes :S

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF IM COMPLETELY LOST?
    and cross them to get the normal then use the point given to get the scalar equation

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2007 #2
    ok you can delete this thread now, my midterm already happend so its kinda useless now..lol thanks anyways

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?