1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given 2n objects, number of ways to select n objects

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given N identical objects and N additional objects that are different from these and from each other, find the number of ways to select n objects out of these 2N objects.

2. Relevant equations
    Either P(n,k) or C(n,k) or n^k or maybe even (n+k+1)/k

3. The attempt at a solution
    Looking at these...so half the set is identical and the other half is distinct from the first half and from them selves. So I will call the first set S and the second set T to help me keep them apart.
    So for the first set everything is identical and w can select up to N of them... my notes seem to indicate i would go about it as (S+N+1)/N and then the second set they are distinct from each other and we can select N of them, so T^N? Are those two formulas in the right direction? If so would I multiply those together to get the correct answer?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2008 #2
    Just count them. Number of ways to select n of A, 0 of B is 1.
    n-1 of A, 1 of B is n
    n-2 of A, 2 of B is n(n-1), etc.

So you get sum{i=0..n}(n choose i) = 2^n.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?