Given linear density of two strings of total length 4m, find total length.

In summary, in order to calculate the length of two strings when given their linear densities and the total length of both strings, one must use the equation v = (T/μ)^0.5 and equate the times it takes for a pulse to travel from a knot in the strings to the ends. This can be done by substituting the values for velocity and using the fact that time is equal for both strings, leading to the equation L1 * (1/μ2)^0.5 = L2 * (1/μ1)^0.5. The unknown tensions T1 and T2 can then be cancelled out, resulting in a simplified equation for calculating the length of each string.
chris_avfc

Homework Statement

If you were given the
- linear density 1 = 2g/m
- linear density 2 = 4g/,
- total length of the strings = 4m
- Length 1 > Length 2
- the fact that when a pulse is sent from a knot in the strings it reaches the ends at the same time

How would you go about working out the length of each string?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to use
μ = m/l
v = (T/μ)^0.5
v = s/t

I tried equating the times as they should be the same, but I get stuck after some substitution.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
'...when a pulse is sent from a knot in the strings it reaches the ends at the same time ...'

You mean the knot tying the two strings together.Ok?

grzz said:
'...when a pulse is sent from a knot in the strings it reaches the ends at the same time ...'

You mean the knot tying the two strings together.Ok?

Yeah that's it, the two strings are tied together, didn't make that very clear.

I got to a point where I have
L_1 (T_2/μ_2)^0.5 = L_2 (T_1/μ_1)^0.5

(_ = Subscript)

So I have a feeling I've gone wrong somewhere.

chris_avfc said:
..L_1 (T_2/μ_2)^0.5 = L_2 (T_1/μ_1)^0.5...

You have L x speed. Does that give 'time'?

grzz said:
You have L x speed. Does that give 'time'?

Yeah, but I only have the μ values to substitute into there.
I've been looking through the textbook at all the equations, but I'm struggling to get anywhere with it.

chris_avfc said:
Yeah, but I only have the μ values to substitute into there.

You have also to substitute the different lengths of the strings.

grzz said:
You have also to substitute the different lengths of the strings.

I've substituted L for (m/μ)

I tried substituting it in both sides, but that of course eliminates both L's so that would be no use.
I tried substituting in for one side and I end up with L_2 = ((( T_2)(m_1^2))/T_1)^0.5
( I realize that isn't very clear but its a fraction which is all square rooted. )

I'm going to have to look for some Tension and Mass equations then, as neither values are given.

Cheer btw.

chris_avfc said:
...I tried substituting it in both sides, but that of course eliminates both L's so that would be no use.
I tried substituting in for one side and I end up with L_2 = ((( T_2)(m_1^2))/T_1)^0.5

Try to THINK on what you are doing. Do not substitue by 'trial and error'.
The length of string is 4m. So try substituting x for one side and (4-x) for the other side.

grzz said:
Try to THINK on what you are doing. Do not substitue by 'trial and error'.
The length of string is 4m. So try substituting x for one side and (4-x) for the other side.

Yeah that would make a lot more sense, I should have thought have that.

But I still have a problem with the unknown tensions?

What happens if the tension in one string is greater than the tension in the other?

grzz said:
What happens if the tension in one string is greater than the tension in the other?

In this case, if its the tension of the second string is more than twice the tension in the first string, the wave will travel faster down it?

I guess that if the tension is unequal at some point then the system will ... break up at that point. What I mean is that the tension is the same throughout.

grzz said:
I guess that if the tension is unequal at some point then the system will ... break up at that point. What I mean is that the tension is the same throughout.

okay, if I'm doing this right I'm left with x = (-32/T)^0.5

chris_avfc said:
okay, if I'm doing this right I'm left with x = (-32/T)^0.5

That cannot be right because T ought to cancel out and x cannot involve the square root of a negative number.

If one shows the working in deriving the equation for x one can give better help.

grzz said:
That cannot be right because T ought to cancel out and x cannot involve the square root of a negative number.

If one shows the working in deriving the equation for x one can give better help.

yeah that's what I though as well, so I'm sure its wrong somewhere.

Anyway here is my working out at the moment
utf-8BTm90dGluZ2hhbS0yMDExMTIwNy0wMDA3MS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BTm90dGluZ2hhbS0yMDExMTIwNy0wMDA3Mi5qcGc.jpg

AS SOON as the tensions T1 and T2 appear, on your first page, just cancell them out because T1=T2.

grzz said:
AS SOON as the tensions T1 and T2 appear, on your first page, just cancell them out because T1=T2.

So I should make it (1/μ_1)^0.5 and (1/μ_2)^0.5?

v=dist/time

so time = dist/vel

time 1 = time 2

L1/v1 = l2/v2
L1 *v2 = L2*v1

Now substitute for v1 and for v2, THEN cancell T1 and T2.

grzz said:
v=dist/time

so time = dist/vel

time 1 = time 2

L1/v1 = l2/v2
L1 *v2 = L2*v1

Now substitute for v1 and for v2, THEN cancell T1 and T2.

L1 *v2 = L2 *v1

L1 * (T2/μ2)^0.5 = L2 * (T1/μ1)^0.5

so when you say cancel the T do you mean?

L1 * (T2)^0.5 * (1/μ2)^0.5 = L2 * (T1)^0.5 * (1/μ1)^0.5
L1 * (T)^0.5 * (1/μ2)^0.5 = L2 * (T)^0.5 * (1/μ1)^0.5
L1 * (1/μ2)^0.5 = L2 * (1/μ1)^0.5

1. What is a linear density?

A linear density is a measure of the mass per unit length of a linear object. It is usually expressed in units of kilograms per meter (kg/m).

2. How is the linear density of a string calculated?

The linear density of a string is calculated by dividing the mass of the string by its length. It is typically denoted by the symbol μ (mu) and can be calculated using the equation μ = m/L, where m is the mass of the string and L is the length.

3. What is the total length of two strings with a given linear density and a total length of 4m?

The total length of two strings with a given linear density and a total length of 4m can be calculated by dividing the total length (4m) by the linear density (μ). This gives the equation L = 4/μ, where L is the total length of the two strings.

4. Can the linear density of a string change?

Yes, the linear density of a string can change depending on factors such as the material of the string, its thickness, and any applied tension or force. For example, a thicker string will have a higher linear density than a thinner one.

5. What is the relationship between linear density and string tension?

There is a direct relationship between linear density and string tension. As the linear density of a string increases, the tension required to produce a certain wavelength or note also increases. This relationship is important in understanding the physics of stringed instruments.