Given positive interger N, now many non-decreasing sequences of length

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of non-decreasing sequences of length N with entries that are positive integers less than N. The solution involves counting the set of sequences with N+1 non-negative integers that sum up to N-2, which is equivalent to the original problem. This can be done by using a bijection between the two sets and counting the latter, which has a growth rate of \binom{2N-2}{N}.
Dragonfall
Given positive interger N, now many non-decreasing sequences of length N are there whose entries are less than N?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

are the entries positive integers?

Yes .

This isn't in the homework section so I'm assuming it isn't homework.

Let A be the set of sequences of the type in the post.
Let B be the set of sequences of N+1 non-negative integers with sum N-2.
A and B are in bijection by associating a sequence [itex]a_1,a_2, \ldots ,a_N[/itex] of A to [itex]b_1,b_2,\ldots,b_{N+1}[/itex] defined by [itex]b_i = a_i - a_{i-1}[/itex] where we let [itex]a_0 = 1, a_{N+1}=N[/itex]. The inverse is given by associating a sequence [itex]b_1,b_2,\ldots,b_{N+1}[/itex] of B to [itex]a_1,\ldots,a_N[/itex] defined by [itex]a_{i+1} = a_{i}+b_{i+1}[/itex] where we let [itex]a_0 = 1[/itex].

Thus we can just count B which has
[tex]\binom{(N+1)+(N-2)-1}{(N+1)-1} = \binom{2N-2}{N}[/tex]
elements.

Wow I would never have thought of that. Thanks. Unfortunately it grows too fast for my purposes.

1. How do you define a non-decreasing sequence?

A non-decreasing sequence is a sequence of numbers in which each subsequent number is equal to or greater than the previous number.

2. Can a non-decreasing sequence contain repeated numbers?

Yes, a non-decreasing sequence can contain repeated numbers as long as the sequence remains non-decreasing.

3. What is the maximum length of a non-decreasing sequence?

The maximum length of a non-decreasing sequence is equal to the given positive integer N.

4. How many non-decreasing sequences can be created from a given positive integer N?

The number of non-decreasing sequences that can be created from a given positive integer N is equal to (N+1) choose 2, which can be calculated using the binomial coefficient formula.

5. Can a non-decreasing sequence start with any number?

Yes, a non-decreasing sequence can start with any number as long as the sequence remains non-decreasing.