1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given potential difference of X-ray machine find energy of X rays

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given is the X-ray machine in which electrons are accelerated in the potential difference of 10000 V before hitting the electrode and loosing its energy. Find the maximum energy of the emitted X rays in keV and in Joules.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So for this one I started and though it would be simple using the equation ΔV= U/q, where U would be potential energy and this potential energy would be the maximum energy of the emitted X-rays. Then I realized that I do not have q. I was wondering if I am on the right track and if so am I missing something that would allow me to find q?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

Leb

You are given that electrons are accelerated.
    What is the charge of an electron ?

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    It doesn't say, that is the problem I am having.

5. Feb 9, 2012 #4

Leb

The charge of an electron has been empirically measured and also theoretically predicted/calculated. It should be given in your constant's sheet.

6. Feb 9, 2012 #5
    Ok, so then i can just use that charge to find U right?
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook