Given potential difference of X-ray machine find energy of X rays

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
mattdespat
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given is the X-ray machine in which electrons are accelerated in the potential difference of 10000 V before hitting the electrode and loosing its energy. Find the maximum energy of the emitted X rays in keV and in Joules.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


So for this one I started and though it would be simple using the equation ΔV= U/q, where U would be potential energy and this potential energy would be the maximum energy of the emitted X-rays. Then I realized that I do not have q. I was wondering if I am on the right track and if so am I missing something that would allow me to find q?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are given that electrons are accelerated.
What is the charge of an electron ?
 
It doesn't say, that is the problem I am having.
 
The charge of an electron has been empirically measured and also theoretically predicted/calculated. It should be given in your constant's sheet.
 
Ok, so then i can just use that charge to find U right?
Thanks