Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Glancing Collision Question

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    Hi there im new to the forum and I have a HW assignment due at 1130 pm tonight, i know im procrastinating :\ but physics is my weak point. I can not figure this question out if my life depended on it. Here it is:

Identical twins, each with mass 64.2 kg, are on ice skates and at rest on a frozen lake, which may be taken as frictionless. Twin A is carrying a backpack of mass 12.0 kg. She throws it horizontally at 3.50 m/s to Twin B. Neglecting any gravity effects, what are the subsequent speeds of Twin A and Twin B?

. They have the same mass, i know the masses should cancel correct? And we have to use the conservation of momentum . But can someone help me out ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do not assume masses will cancel. Assign letters to everything and work the conservation laws. Let the laws tell you what does and does not cancel out.

Pick a direction to be positive, since momentum is a vector. For each twin write down the momentum before and the momentum after and equate them. So for Alice (twin A):

before throwing the pack: ##p_i=(m+M)v_i=0##
    after: ##p_f=Mv+mu##
    ... if m is the mass of the pack and M is the mass of Alice, u and v are the respective velocities. Since pf=pi you can find relationships between the masses and the speeds.

Bob gets an incoming pack mass m moving at speed u.
    You should be able to do the rest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook