How Do Ice-Skating Twins Illustrate Conservation of Momentum?

• Thread starter johnchops32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation is about a homework assignment involving identical twins on ice skates and a backpack. The question involves using the conservation of momentum to determine the subsequent velocities of the twins after one of them throws the backpack to the other. The conversation also includes instructions on how to approach the problem by assigning letters to the masses and working with conservation laws.
johnchops32
Hi there I am new to the forum and I have a HW assignment due at 1130 pm tonight, i know I am procrastinating :\ but physics is my weak point. I can not figure this question out if my life depended on it. Here it is:

Identical twins, each with mass 64.2 kg, are on ice skates and at rest on a frozen lake, which may be taken as frictionless. Twin A is carrying a backpack of mass 12.0 kg. She throws it horizontally at 3.50 m/s to Twin B. Neglecting any gravity effects, what are the subsequent speeds of Twin A and Twin B?

. They have the same mass, i know the masses should cancel correct? And we have to use the conservation of momentum . But can someone help me out ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not assume masses will cancel. Assign letters to everything and work the conservation laws. Let the laws tell you what does and does not cancel out.

Pick a direction to be positive, since momentum is a vector. For each twin write down the momentum before and the momentum after and equate them. So for Alice (twin A):

before throwing the pack: ##p_i=(m+M)v_i=0##
after: ##p_f=Mv+mu##
... if m is the mass of the pack and M is the mass of Alice, u and v are the respective velocities. Since pf=pi you can find relationships between the masses and the speeds.

Bob gets an incoming pack mass m moving at speed u.
You should be able to do the rest.

1. What is a glancing collision?

A glancing collision is a type of collision where two objects come into contact at an angle, rather than head-on. This results in a change in direction and/or speed of both objects.

2. How is the outcome of a glancing collision determined?

The outcome of a glancing collision is determined by the mass, velocity, and angle of the objects involved. The laws of physics, such as conservation of momentum and energy, also play a role in determining the outcome.

3. What are some real-world examples of glancing collisions?

Some common examples of glancing collisions include billiard balls hitting each other at an angle, a car hitting a curb, and a tennis ball hitting a racket. Glancing collisions can also occur in nature, such as when two planets or comets collide at an angle.

4. How do glancing collisions differ from head-on collisions?

In a head-on collision, the two objects come into contact directly along their path of motion. This results in a transfer of energy and a change in direction and/or speed. In a glancing collision, the objects come into contact at an angle, which can result in a more complex outcome.

5. Are glancing collisions dangerous?

The danger of a glancing collision depends on the objects involved and the energy transferred during the collision. In some cases, the change in direction and/or speed may cause damage or injury, while in others, the impact may be minimal. It is important to always use caution and follow safety precautions to avoid collisions of any kind.