Glass amenable to writing with a graphite pencil

In summary, the conversation revolved around the ability to write with a graphite pencil on certain surfaces, specifically the IREX DR800 e-book reader and smooth glass. Different suggestions were given, such as using a china marker or finding glass with a higher coefficient of friction. It was also mentioned that the glass on e-readers may have a special coating to prevent smudges. The conversation concluded with a link to Gorilla Glass and a video showcasing the future of screen display technology.
deftfyodor
For a while I've used an IREX DR800 e-book reader, and in the course of my experimentations, I have observed that I can actually write directly onto the screen with a graphite pencil, and erase with a cotton t-shirt. I've been trying to find a larger piece of glass which yields similar effects, but I've been met with little success. Of course pencil doesn't take to standard glass, and there are erasibility problems with frosted glass. Anyone have a clue on a type of glass which accomplishes what I'm looking for?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the reason you cannot write on standard glass with graphite is due to the low coefficient of friction of the material. Perhaps the ebook readers surface is matte enough, presumably to diffuse light, reduce glare, etc. and so can be written on.

You might look for glass with different coefficients of friction. Or try using a graphite pencil with less clay. The less clay, the softer the lead, the more likely it is to write on smooth glass.

Have you considered a china marker? They are made for writing on glass, they don't scratch, and are easily wiped off. I've used these for ages and can be bought just about anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_pencil

Sure, I understand that if I take smooth glass as a given, I can vary the pencil to positive effect. What I'm going for is a method of using an HB pencil with the glass.

QuarkCharmer:

I absolutely agree with everything you are saying, however the game is finding That glass with the higher coefficient of friction. What finish is applied? What additives are in the glass? &c.

you might try the very slightly frosted picture-frame glass that you can find in any drugstore or stationary store. I APPEARANCE at least those are very similar to some electronics screens.

deftfyodor said:
Sure, I understand that if I take smooth glass as a given, I can vary the pencil to positive effect. What I'm going for is a method of using an HB pencil with the glass.

QuarkCharmer:

I absolutely agree with everything you are saying, however the game is finding That glass with the higher coefficient of friction. What finish is applied? What additives are in the glass? &c.
I don't have an exact answer to your question but read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Glass

and have a look at this video:

http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-...s-2-where-screen-display-technology-might-go/

The property that allows you to write with a pencil on your ebook is probably something manufactured into the glass to allow it to be a touch screen whose visibility won't be affected by fingerprints/skin oils. Glass like this may not be available outside touch screen applications.

1. What exactly is "glass amenable to writing with a graphite pencil"?

"Glass amenable to writing with a graphite pencil" refers to a type of glass that has a high level of hardness and smoothness, making it possible to write on its surface using a graphite pencil.

2. How is this type of glass different from regular glass?

The main difference is the level of hardness and smoothness. Regular glass is typically not hard enough to withstand the pressure of a pencil, and its surface is not smooth enough to allow for writing with a pencil. Glass amenable to writing with a graphite pencil, on the other hand, has been specially treated or manufactured to have these properties.

3. What are some practical applications of this type of glass?

Glass amenable to writing with a graphite pencil can be used in various industries, such as the automotive industry for writing on car windshields, the construction industry for marking measurements on glass surfaces, and the art world for creating intricate designs on glass objects.

4. Is it possible to use any type of pencil on this glass?

No, only graphite pencils are suitable for writing on this type of glass. Other types of pencils, such as colored pencils or ink-based pens, may not work or may damage the glass surface.

5. How is this glass made to be amenable to writing with a graphite pencil?

The process of making this type of glass involves heating and cooling the glass at specific temperatures to increase its hardness and smoothness. Some manufacturers may also apply a special coating or treatment to the glass surface to make it more receptive to graphite pencil markings.