Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Glide Ratio and Scale

1. Jul 12, 2010 #1

I am looking into the design of gliders with good L/D / Glide Ratio.

It seems hard to find what is the most efficient full size glider, and the same goes to a scale r/c type one too.

So any ideas?

If i was to start from scratch, what should i be looking at to get the best l/d ratio possible?

The AIM is to get the most airtime and/or distance.

I read in a book that speed has little effect on the L/D ratio, is this true? If so, is this only true down to a certain speed, ie, stall speed?

Project needs to address to if the aircraft can be used with a powerplant.

Is the use of a glider for adaption to a low power, and long distance aircraft better than building an aircraft from scratch for this purpose?

My area of study is Mech Eng, but I want to get into Aero Engineering after graduation, and i have an interest in fluids and aviation in general, thus having an Aero themed project to try get some knowledge about Aero Engineering.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2010 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Flying gliders but not R/C model I'm not sure what you ask. A modern glider has a glide ratio around 40-50 with the airspeed for maximum glide a bit above the speed for minimum sink rate, as calculated as the "tangent" from the glide polar [1]. The glide ratio do vary with speed, enough so that flying with the "correct" speed is significant in competition flights [2] and you would usually also correct for wind speed so that you fly a bit faster in head wind and a bit slower in tail wind.

I assume the performance of a R/C glider somehow can be transformed from the performance figures of a real size glider using the "standard" scale laws in aerodynamics, but I suspect "heuristic" knowledge about build and flying R/C models is far more important than general theoretical knowledge about aerodynamics.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_curve_(aviation)
    [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_to_fly
  4. Jul 12, 2010 #3
    Any aerodynamic behavior of a vehicle is a function of its angle of attack and sideslip. Airspeed does not dictate best L/D ratio, angle of attack does.
  5. Jul 14, 2010 #4
    All i was wondering, thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook