Glossary is Up: Submit Definitions for Moderation

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the Physics Forums Glossary relies on user-submitted definitions that are moderated for accuracy. A search feature is currently being worked on and is expected to be available within a week. For the search feature, it may not be possible to account for both American and English spellings of terms. The glossary is currently focused on physics and cosmology terms, but there may be plans for expansion to include other disciplines in the future. There is also an opportunity for users to contribute and improve definitions in a team effort. The sudden increase in entries was likely due to a few users contributing a large number of definitions in a short amount of time. However, the site moderators and programmers have also played a significant role in developing these new features.
It relies on users to submit their definitions. All definitions will be moderated for accuracy. Hopefully that will become a really great resource for members. I'm working on a search feature, should be up within a week.

https://www.physicsforums.com/glossaire.php

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Speaking of a Search feature, will there be any way to be sensitive to both American and English spellings or is this asking for too much ?

In other words, if a Brit uses the Glossary Search for 'colour' or 'Aluminium' or 'ionisation energy' will (s)he find any results ?

Bio definitions

Greg, you must have been very bored this summer to come up with so many new features in such a short time! Great ideas!

My post is directed toward anyone with ideas about definitions for biology-related terms. I'm willing to help write some definitions, but don't particularly feel like thinking up which words to include, so if some of you know of terms that have needed to be defined repeatedly in the bio forum, but don't feel confident writing your own definitions, PM me with your suggestions. Or, if someone is writing a definition and just wants to bounce it past another person before submitting it to check for clarity or confirm accuracy, I'm willing to help with that too. Probably the best way to ensure accurate/complete definitions is to make this a bit of a team effort. I know that a perfectly good synonym in normal usage can lead to an incorrect definition in scientific usage, so an extra proofreader can be very helpful.

Woah, baby ! : The number of entries rocketed from 26, to 176 (or some such) over less than an 8 hr. span ! Is this everybody's contribution or do we have some one or two persons to thank for a humongous effort ?

PS : I think it's probably a bunch of approvals that went through during that time...

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Greg, you must have been very bored this summer to come up with so many new features in such a short time! Great ideas!

I ended a relationship a few months ago, gave me more time. Chroot has done a lot too :)

Moonbear said:
My post is directed toward anyone with ideas about definitions for biology-related terms. I'm willing to help write some definitions, but don't particularly feel like thinking up which words to include, so if some of you know of terms that have needed to be defined repeatedly in the bio forum, but don't feel confident writing your own definitions, PM me with your suggestions. Or, if someone is writing a definition and just wants to bounce it past another person before submitting it to check for clarity or confirm accuracy, I'm willing to help with that too. Probably the best way to ensure accurate/complete definitions is to make this a bit of a team effort. I know that a perfectly good synonym in normal usage can lead to an incorrect definition in scientific usage, so an extra proofreader can be very helpful.

Moonbear we'd like to keep the glossary for physics and cosmology terms only for now. If it becomes popular then we might setup another glossary sections for other diciplines.

Gokul43201 said:
Speaking of a Search feature, will there be any way to be sensitive to both American and English spellings or is this asking for too much ?

In other words, if a Brit uses the Glossary Search for 'colour' or 'Aluminium' or 'ionisation energy' will (s)he find any results ?

Yeah I see the issue, but it would take too much time in both writing the definitions, programming and create some redundancy problems.

Also, I have up a very primitive search box for now.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I ended a relationship a few months ago, gave me more time. Chroot has done a lot too :)

Sorry to hear that...or should it be congratulations? Glad to see you found a constructive use of your free time.

Moonbear we'd like to keep the glossary for physics and cosmology terms only for now. If it becomes popular then we might setup another glossary sections for other diciplines.

Okey dokey! I'll hang onto the few suggestions I got in case you open up a bio glossary.

Great! With this new glossary I can improve my... uh... speech thingy.

What is a glossary and why is it important?

A glossary is a list of terms and their corresponding definitions, typically found at the end of a book or document. It is important because it helps readers understand the specific terminology used in a particular subject or field of study.

Who can submit definitions for moderation in the Glossary?

Anyone can submit definitions for moderation in the Glossary. However, it is recommended that the submissions come from individuals with expertise in the related subject matter to ensure accuracy and consistency.

How long does it take for a definition to be approved?

The approval process for submitted definitions can vary, but it typically takes 1-2 business days for a definition to be reviewed and approved by the moderators. This may also depend on the volume of submissions and the availability of moderators.

Can I edit my submitted definition after it has been approved?

Once a definition has been approved and added to the Glossary, it can no longer be edited by the submitter. If you would like to make changes or corrections to your definition, you can submit a new definition for moderation.

What should I do if I disagree with a definition that has been approved?

If you disagree with a definition that has been approved, you can submit a new definition for moderation with your suggested changes. The moderators will review both definitions and make a decision on which one to include in the Glossary.