Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Glossary is up

1. Sep 6, 2004 #1
    It relies on users to submit their definitions. All definitions will be moderated for accuracy. Hopefully that will become a really great resource for members. I'm working on a search feature, should be up within a week.

https://www.physicsforums.com/glossaire.php

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Speaking of a Search feature, will there be any way to be sensitive to both American and English spellings or is this asking for too much ?

In other words, if a Brit uses the Glossary Search for 'colour' or 'Aluminium' or 'ionisation energy' will (s)he find any results ?

4. Sep 7, 2004 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bio definitions

Greg, you must have been very bored this summer to come up with so many new features in such a short time! Great ideas!

My post is directed toward anyone with ideas about definitions for biology-related terms. I'm willing to help write some definitions, but don't particularly feel like thinking up which words to include, so if some of you know of terms that have needed to be defined repeatedly in the bio forum, but don't feel confident writing your own definitions, PM me with your suggestions. Or, if someone is writing a definition and just wants to bounce it past another person before submitting it to check for clarity or confirm accuracy, I'm willing to help with that too. Probably the best way to ensure accurate/complete definitions is to make this a bit of a team effort. I know that a perfectly good synonym in normal usage can lead to an incorrect definition in scientific usage, so an extra proofreader can be very helpful.

5. Sep 7, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Woah, baby !! :surprised: The number of entries rocketed from 26, to 176 (or some such) over less than an 8 hr. span ! Is this everybody's contribution or do we have some one or two persons to thank for a humongous effort ?

PS : I think it's probably a bunch of approvals that went through during that time...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  6. Sep 7, 2004 #5
    I ended a relationship a few months ago, gave me more time. Chroot has done alot too :)

Moonbear we'd like to keep the glossary for physics and cosmology terms only for now. If it becomes popular then we might setup another glossary sections for other diciplines.

7. Sep 7, 2004 #6
    Yeah I see the issue, but it would take too much time in both writing the definitions, programming and create some redundancy problems.

Also, I have up a very primitive search box for now.

8. Sep 7, 2004 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry to hear that...or should it be congratulations? Glad to see you found a constructive use of your free time.

Okey dokey! I'll hang onto the few suggestions I got in case you open up a bio glossary.

9. Sep 9, 2004 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

Great! With this new glossary I can improve my..... uh.... speech thingy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?