Gnuplot Density Mapping: Tips and Tricks for Efficient Data Plotting

In summary, the warning you received is telling you that you need to include additional blank lines in your data file in order to properly plot it with gnuplot.
s_hy
Hi all,

I used below bash command to plot my data (.dat file)

Code:
#!/bin/bash

(
echo 'set term jpeg'
echo 'set style data lines'
echo 'set yrange [0:200]'
echo 'set xrange[0:200]' 
echo 'set pm3d map'
echo 'set palette defined (-2 "yellow", 0 "green", 2 "red")'for f in "$@"
do
#	echo "Processing $f" >&2
	pic_name="${f%.dat}.jpg"
	echo "set out '$pic_name'"
	echo "splot '$f'"
done) | gnuplot

but I got this warning:

Warning: Single isoline (scan) is not enough for a pm3d plot.
Hint: Missing blank lines in the data file? See 'help pm3d' and FAQ.

As I know, to map using gnuplot for 3d density mapping, I should have output with blank lines to separate different x values, like this

Code:
-180.0 -180.0 0.0
-180.0 -179.0 0.2
[...]
-180.0  180.0 0.0

-179.0 -180.0 0.4
-179.0 -179.0 0.2
[...]
-179.0  180.0 0.0

[...]

but, if I have a few thousand lines, with 200 .dat files, what can I do to expedite my job? Anyone can help...thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Hey s_hy and welcome to the forums.

One idea I have for you is to run a script (or write some code to create an executable) to just remove every instance of a double or more than double CR-LF (carriage return line-feed) and just set it to a single CR-LF.

chiro,

how can I do that? gnuplot is new to me..still not familiar with the command

It's not a gnuplot specific suggestion: it's a general one that can be implemented on your language (scripting/non-script/whatever) and platform of your choice.

All you want to do is basically read in every line of the file that is relevant and whenever you encounter a file with multiple CR-LF (carriage return-line feed) values just remove all of them but one.

If you want to know what these values are use a hex-editor and look at the raw data and see if it's just a one or two byte code and you'll see what the values are.

The simplest way to do this without even worring about the CR-LF values is to just have a loop that reads in one line at a time and then if the line is blank forget about it and if not write it to another file.

When the loop terminates you'll have another file without any extra spaces in the data and you can use that.

It's basically just an open statement, one loop that reads until end of file, read line, check if empty or with only spaces and if so don't add it to output but if not write that line to the output file, loop terminates, close input file, flush output to existing file close handle, program exits and you have a file that has no gaps.

If you have any platform that allows you to read in one line at a time and write one line at a time you're looking at something like 10-20 lines for the entire thing and will do its magic pretty much on the spot.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with using gnuplot for density mapping. It seems like you have encountered a common issue with plotting data using gnuplot - the need for blank lines to separate different x values. This is necessary for creating a proper 3D density map.

One solution to expedite your job would be to use a script or program to automatically add the necessary blank lines to your data files. This can save you time and effort, especially if you have a large number of files to plot.

Another tip for efficient data plotting is to use the "plot for" command in gnuplot, which allows you to plot multiple data files at once. This can save you from having to manually input each file name in your script.

Additionally, you may want to consider using a different plotting software that is specifically designed for 3D density mapping. There are many options available, such as ParaView, VisIt, and Tecplot, which may offer more efficient and user-friendly tools for your specific needs.

I hope these tips and suggestions are helpful for your data plotting. Good luck with your research!

1. Can you explain what density mapping is in Gnuplot?

Density mapping in Gnuplot is a way to visualize data that is represented by a set of points on a grid. It is used to create a 2D or 3D color map that represents the density of points in a particular area.

2. How do I create a density map in Gnuplot?

To create a density map in Gnuplot, you first need to have your data in a grid format. Then, you can use the "splot" command with the "with pm3d" option to plot the data as a color map. You can also adjust the color palette and add a colorbar to the plot for better visualization.

3. Can I customize the color palette for my density map in Gnuplot?

Yes, you can customize the color palette for your density map in Gnuplot. You can use the "palette" command to set the range and colors for the palette. Additionally, you can use predefined palettes or create your own using RGB color values.

4. How can I add a colorbar to my density map in Gnuplot?

To add a colorbar to your density map in Gnuplot, you can use the "set colorbox" command. This will create a separate axis with a colorbar that corresponds to the color palette of your density map. You can also customize the colorbar's range, position, and labels.

5. Is it possible to create a 3D density map in Gnuplot?

Yes, it is possible to create a 3D density map in Gnuplot. You can use the "splot" command with the "with pm3d" option to plot your data in a 3D color map. Additionally, you can adjust the viewing angle and add a colorbar to the plot for better visualization.