Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Godel's science version?

1. Mar 12, 2006 #1
    I'm wondering though, if you prove godel's theorem for science, that would be the greatest scientific discovery, because that would imply the universe has infinite possibilities which is better than a closed system governed by a set of laws and you would be stuck without further development as a result.

What do you think.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm going to ignore the opinion. Would you care to state:

(1) Just what "Gödel's theorem for science" (GTFS) would say.
    (2) Why GTFS would suggest the universe has infinite possibilities.
    (3) Why GTFS would suggest the universe is not a closed system.
    (4) Why GTFS would suggest the universe is not governed by a set of laws.
    (5) Who would be stuck without further development.
    (6) What you mean by "further development".
    (7) Why GTFS would suggest they'd be stuck without further development.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  4. Mar 13, 2006 #3

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Please do a little more studying of what the theorems actually state and mean and then formulate a better thesis. I'm not saying this is the case, but it very much looks like you just took a look at the word "incompleteness" and thought hey, maybe physical laws can never be complete, meaning anything is possible in principle.

I applaud your curiosity, but you've stated implications that just aren't the case. Not understanding the theorems is fine, but ask about it then instead of drawing false conclusions and basing a thread on them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?