1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Going into Medical Physics (UK)

1. Jul 7, 2008 #1

I've just got a 2:1 MSci in Physics and I weighing up my options. I'm seriously considering going into Medical physics for various reasons; although I've only done one medical physics module in my course. I've looked into it and I'd obviously have to do an additional training on a programme accredited by the IPEM (and maybe an MSc/PhD). I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the world of a medical physicist in the NHS or possibly other career paths.

The whole things a bit of a pipe dream at the moment, as my circumstances have changed very quickly, and I've only really considered this option recently, hence my ignorace.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Out of curiosity, what does 2:1 mean?

Generally to work as a medical physicist the minimum education you'll need is an M.Sc. Jobs available to those with a bachelor's degree are usually at the level of physics assistant which involve a lot of routine QA duties.

Medical physics offers great career potential in my opinion as there's a decent balance between clinical duties (which translates into stable, well-paying jobs) and research. The road however is a long one.
  4. Jul 7, 2008 #3

A 2:1 is an upper second class degree.
    >70% = 1
    60-69% = 2.1
    50-59% = 2.2
    40-49% = 3rd

Is it different in the US? I thought it was the same.
  5. Jul 7, 2008 #4
    Nope. Different system. I'm not even sure the theoretical grades are equivalent.

We go on a (usually) four point GPA system. 2.0 (C = 70%) is "average", 3.0 (B = 80%) is "above average", 4.0 (A=90%) is "significantly above average".

We (U.S.) are fighting with grade inflation here, where some schools or individual teachers give way more A/B grades than is justified by student performance. Some of us actually monitor our class statistics and try to give appropriate A/B/C/D/F grades. I'm one of the ones that monitors carefully.
  6. Jul 9, 2008 #5
    Are the grades curved?
  7. Jul 9, 2008 #6
    In the US? Depends on the teacher/instructor. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. And what kind of curve and how it is applied can vary.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?