Can American/European Engineers Work in India and Other Outsourcing Countries?

• Thread starter holymotherf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    India Work
In summary, American/European engineers can go and live in India and work there if they can't get work here. However, it would be a problem to get a job there because of the low pay and the dirty environment.
holymotherf
Is it possible for american/european engineers to go and live in India and work there if they can't get work here? Would you have to learn their language or do they use english? I am talking about going there to do outsourced work. Would it be a problem to get a job there?

I am not only taking about India but all the countries in Asia where the work gets outsourced.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The point of outsourcing is to have a cheap labor. Are you actually talking about joining the workforce in those countries that gets paid ten times less than in USA?

Last edited:
What country are you from? If you're from the United States, there are plenty of engineering jobs here.

holymotherf said:
Is it possible for american/european engineers to go and live in India and work there if they can't get work here? Would you have to learn their language or do they use english? I am talking about going there to do outsourced work. Would it be a problem to get a job there?

I am not only taking about India but all the countries in Asia where the work gets outsourced.

Assuming you can obtain a work visa, and land a job at a decent pay, and don't mind the living conditions, then of course it is possible.

Last time I was in India it everything about it sucked, the place was dirty, the food was weird (I'm American so I have biased tastes), people didn't like me soley due to the fact that I was American, and the airline (Air India) I flew into the country on was older than I am and the cabin smelled like goat pee.

But that's just me 2 cents...:wink:

CS

waht said:
The point of outsourcing is to have a cheap labor. Are you actually talking about joining the workforce in those countries that gets paid ten times less than in USA?
although i myself hate this country but that is very offensive to any Indian. Mr What, i agree the major part of country still earns $$ ten times less than you guys in US do, but then cost of living in India is 20 times less than US and mind you, that is with a very comfortable living. New Delhi is as good a place as any of national capitals and where i live, its too peaceful and nice place.
As an engineer myself(rather to be an engineer in 1 year), i will not recommend you to find any engineering job out here, you ll only get an HR job.
And don't worry about any communication gap, English is as much a known language here as our mother tongue.
Last time I was in India it everything about it sucked, the place was dirty, the food was weird (I'm American so I have biased tastes), people didn't like me solely due to the fact that I was American, and the airline (Air India) I flew into the country on was older than I am and the cabin smelled like goat pee.
when was it Mr Stewart??
maybe the places you visited were dirty, that doesn't imply whole country is dirty.
Each country has its own taste.
if few people don't like you, it doesn't mean the whole country is against you or everyone there is an idiot.
and maybe you carried a smelly hanky, that's why it smelled. its just plain over exaggeration by you.

having said that, i still hate India, not because of the reasons you listed, its just because the mentality of people is not right, otherwise its just fine

ank_gl said:
when was it Mr Stewart??
maybe the places you visited were dirty, that doesn't imply whole country is dirty.
Each country has its own taste.
if few people don't like you, it doesn't mean the whole country is against you or everyone there is an idiot.
and maybe you carried a smelly hanky, that's why it smelled. its just plain over exaggeration by you.

having said that, i still hate India, not because of the reasons you listed, its just because the mentality of people is not right, otherwise its just fine

Well it was about 7 years ago.

All of the parts of the city that I visited, Chennai, were dirty. Not having seen the rest of the country, I of course couldn't comment on it.

I'm quite aware that each country have their own tastes, as I blatantly stated with my bias comment in parenthesis. Again, that was just my opionion to the OP. He or she is entitled to get other views if they so choose.

I never said that everyone there is an idiot, however you are quickly changing my view.

Maybe I was sitting beside you on the plane, that's why it smelled.

It doesn't say much about your country if YOU hate it. I might not like some things about the US, but I would not live anywhere else in the world and I definitely do not hate it.

CS

well, i was 12 then, maybe i smelled ;)). 7 years is a lot of time, maybe air India sucked then, i am not sure, but at least now, services here are far better than that time.
maybe you felt a bit left out because of the color of your skin and their color.

"I might not like some things about the US, but I would not live anywhere else in the world and I definitely do not hate it."
obviously i accept US is better than any of other countries, so living anywhere else is not that a good idea

stewartcs said:
Last time I was in India it everything about it sucked, the place was dirty, the food was weird (I'm American so I have biased tastes), people didn't like me soley due to the fact that I was American, and the airline (Air India) I flew into the country on was older than I am and the cabin smelled like goat pee.

I'm from India, and although I'm a bit offended [and i don't really hate my country], i'd have to agree with you. India is pretty lax on hygiene conditions and overcrowding is what makes the problem worse. Compared to nations like usa, Canada, england etc. the hygiene standards are pretty low here.

Also, yes, outsiders are sometimes hated.. but c'mon.. isn't that the case everywhere. Also, that's not really a widespread case. People here are generally quite helping [although, obviously i can't really see this case from ur view point].

Food.. well.. can't really comment on that. Also, it's a pity that you were in Chennai. Even i have a food problem in Chennai. You should check out better places like mumbai, delhi or some place in rajasthan. Foreign visitors seem to enjoy the food here in those places.

And yes, Air India sucks. For most of us, it sucks. It is much worse than the budget airlines here. Next time [if there is one], be wise and pick Jet Airways or Kingfisher Airlines. They are quite up to international standards.

Although the discussion has deviated much, let me contribute my 2 paise.
I have traveled by Air India quite a few times, and never once have I felt uncomfortable with the service or the smell of the cabin for that matter. Maybe it was some other unavoidable reason that caused the stench.

India is a developing country and you can't expect things here that you take for granted in a developed nation. Chennai is a metropolitan city with a huge population, mostly poor, and is heavily congested. It is as you said, perhaps the least hygeinic place in India. This is not the case in most other cities, the level of problems vary form state to state. The food we have is on the spicier side, but with restaurants serving international cuisines popping up in every city, grabbing a decent bite shouldn't be too difficult. From what I have seen, people are quite friendly to foreigners, even going out of their way to help them. Remember the colonial age was over only half a century ago. If you have any specific instances of harassment, kindly post.
Also I find it sad that fellow countrymen here on PF hate their own country. India is much bigger than all its so called problems, it exemplifies a distinct culture and a way of life.

Cheers,
A proud Indian

arunbg said:
From what I have seen, people are quite friendly to foreigners, even going out of their way to help them. Remember the colonial age was over only half a century ago. If you have any specific instances of harassment, kindly post.

The colonial age isn't a mark of our hospitality, it's a mark of our stupidity. We were slaves. Remember?

Cheers,
A proud Indian

This is totally rhetoric, has lost it's significance and as a statement, means nothing.

rohanprabhu said:
The colonial age isn't a mark of our hospitality, it's a mark of our stupidity. We were slaves. Remember?
Not we, just those oldies. i am no slave. just because some stupid people couldn't beat out intruders, we can't be called slaves. But then again, i don't see how India would have got out of its stupid custom and traditional stupidity without the Englishmen.
And what is one proud of in India, these people ain't got any mentality. they say wrong things and do worse things and worse, govt. backs it all.

And Rohan, i don't know much about other parts, but i live in New Delhi and my place happens to be in a very peaceful and clean place. But i agree, i haven't been to much places in India, so i can't really say about them

obviously the thread is going way to far from the question of OP, sorry for that

I have a feeling this thread is taking a turn for the worst.
That was not at all what I said, and to think that you thought I was implying that the colonial age showed our hospitality!
It is the fact that we treat foreigners generously and without any contempt whatsoever today that speaks volumes of our tolerance.
But then again, i don't see how India would have got out of its stupid custom and traditional stupidity without the Englishmen.
And what is one proud of in India, these people ain't got any mentality. they say wrong things and do worse things and worse, govt. backs it all.
Firstly, in the middle ages every country had its share of what we now term inhumane and immoral practices and customs, even the West. You certainly are not implying that we would still be in those ages, had it not been for the colonization, are you?

May I ask you if you think the same about yourself, your parents or your relatives, all being Indians(I assume)? Sure, development is hampered by corruption, poor commitment and the like. But all this will change in a decade or two.

This is totally rhetoric, has lost it's significance and as a statement, means nothing.
I am proud of my country. It was not meant to be rhetoric. All I wanted to convey is that, pride isn't always found in perfection alone.

As for the OP's question, I would say stick to finding a job in your native country. As many others pointed out, income is comparatively lower here and facilities are fewer.

this is getting way beyond the topic. Moderators should close this topic.

Related to Can American/European Engineers Work in India and Other Outsourcing Countries?

1. What are the job opportunities like in India?

India has a rapidly growing economy and a thriving job market, particularly in the technology and healthcare sectors. There are also opportunities in fields such as finance, manufacturing, and tourism. Many multinational companies have offices in India, providing a range of job opportunities for both local and international workers.

2. Will I need a work visa to go to India for work?

Yes, if you are a foreign national planning to work in India, you will need to obtain a work visa. This can typically be done through your employer or through the Indian embassy or consulate in your home country. It is important to ensure that you have the necessary permits and documentation before starting work in India.

3. What is the cost of living like in India?

The cost of living in India can vary greatly depending on the city or region you will be working in. Generally, larger cities like Mumbai and Delhi will have a higher cost of living compared to smaller towns and rural areas. However, overall, the cost of living in India is relatively affordable compared to many other countries.

4. Is it difficult to adapt to the culture and lifestyle in India?

Adapting to a new culture and lifestyle can be challenging for anyone, but India is a diverse and welcoming country. The key is to keep an open mind and be respectful of local customs and traditions. It can also be helpful to learn some basic phrases in the local language and to connect with other expats or locals who can help you navigate and adjust to your new environment.

5. What are the working hours and vacation time like in India?

The standard working hours in India are 9-10 hours per day, Monday to Friday. However, this can vary depending on the industry and company. Vacation time is typically 2-4 weeks per year, but again, this can vary depending on your employer. It is important to clarify your work schedule and vacation time with your employer before accepting a job offer in India.