Golden Age of Construction Engineering?

In summary, the NOVA documentary "Secrets of the Parthenon" discusses the ancient engineering technology used to build the Parthenon and how it is still a mystery to modern technology. However, the conversation points out that just because we don't know how the Greeks accomplished their engineering feats, it doesn't mean we couldn't figure it out with the same materials and labor force. The discussion also brings up the idea of the "garden of Eden" syndrome, where people believe that things in the past were better. Overall, the conversation highlights the challenge of understanding and replicating ancient engineering without a time machine or new historical evidence.
SF
I'm watching a NOVA documentary "Secrets of the Parthenon", and the storyteller tries really hard to hype the ancient engineering technology, by saying our modern technology isn't capable of understanding/replicating what the greeks did.

Is it me, or are they just suffering from the "garden of Eden" syndrome (things in the past were way better)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Things definitely weren't better... just different. There's no question that the old-timers were extremely clever at figuring out how to do things, but their methods were based upon the knowledge, materials, and labour force that they had access to. Just because we don't know how they did something doesn't mean that we don't know how they might have done it. There are all kinds of opinions about how the pyramids were built, for example. Some are psychoceramic (man, I just read that term on here tonight and I love it!), some are plausible but unlikely, and some are very serious contenders for being correct. The problem is that without a time machine, the discovery of new historical documents, or maybe some new type of forensic analysis, we simply can't know which is correct.

If we built everything out of marble and granite and had a workforce of thousands that we didn't have to pay, then I think we'd do a pretty good job at it.

Danger said:
... Some are psychoceramic (man, I just read that term on here tonight and I love it!),...

Hahaha i just looked up psychoceramic, very funny. Study of cracked pots. :rofl:

SF said:
Is it me, or are they just suffering from the "garden of Eden" syndrome (things in the past were way better)?
Was talking to a civil engineer about the same thing - he reckoned that the Victorian railway engineering was the greatest and all there is now is boring freeway extentions and interchanges.
But then there is the Channel Tunnel, the Millau Viaduct and the amazing skyscrapers in Dubai.

I also don't recall Neil Armstrong mentioning anything about seeing any 'anciently engineered' landing modules kicking about on the moon. (And the first person who brings up '2001: A Space Odyssey' gets smacked with a trout.)

mgb_phys said:
Was talking to a civil engineer about the same thing - he reckoned that the Victorian railway engineering was the greatest and all there is now is boring freeway extentions and interchanges.
But then there is the Channel Tunnel, the Millau Viaduct and the amazing skyscrapers in Dubai.

That is debatable. There are a lot of projects that in the antiquity they would not even be considered or believed to be possible.

Danger said:
Things definitely weren't better... just different. There's no question that the old-timers were extremely clever at figuring out how to do things, but their methods were based upon the knowledge, materials, and labour force that they had access to. Just because we don't know how they did something doesn't mean that we don't know how they might have done it. There are all kinds of opinions about how the pyramids were built, for example. Some are psychoceramic (man, I just read that term on here tonight and I love it!), some are plausible but unlikely, and some are very serious contenders for being correct. The problem is that without a time machine, the discovery of new historical documents, or maybe some new type of forensic analysis, we simply can't know which is correct.

Psychoceramic. Love it! And people will contribute to it! There are lots of postings on CR4 about over-unity machines and magnetic motors etc and now I have a place to send them.

TVP45 said:
Psychoceramic. Love it! And people will contribute to it! There are lots of postings on CR4 about over-unity machines and magnetic motors etc and now I have a place to send them.

Yeah, it's a beautiful word. I can't remember right now who first used it here, but it was one of the Mentors. Maybe Zapper...?

We aren't confronted/constrained by the same issues that the ancients faced and we don't have the benefit of seeing the world through their eyes or the historical record of how they did their projects. So we have to conjecture. That doesn't mean we couldn't reproduce their efforts with their technology if we had to.

1. What was the "Golden Age of Construction Engineering"?

The "Golden Age of Construction Engineering" refers to a period of time in the late 19th and early 20th centuries where there was a significant increase in the use of advanced construction techniques and materials. This period saw the construction of many iconic structures such as the Eiffel Tower, the Brooklyn Bridge, and the Panama Canal.

2. What were some of the major advancements in construction during this time?

Some of the major advancements during the "Golden Age of Construction Engineering" included the use of steel and reinforced concrete as building materials, the development of new construction techniques such as cantilever and suspension structures, and the use of cranes and other heavy machinery to aid in construction.

3. What impact did the "Golden Age of Construction Engineering" have on modern construction practices?

The "Golden Age of Construction Engineering" had a profound impact on modern construction practices. Many of the techniques and materials developed during this time are still used today, and the large-scale projects completed during this period set a precedent for future construction projects.

4. Who were some of the key figures in the "Golden Age of Construction Engineering"?

Some of the key figures in the "Golden Age of Construction Engineering" include Gustave Eiffel, who designed the Eiffel Tower and other iconic structures, John Roebling, who designed the Brooklyn Bridge, and William LeBaron Jenney, who is considered the father of modern skyscrapers.

5. How did the "Golden Age of Construction Engineering" contribute to the growth of cities and infrastructure?

The "Golden Age of Construction Engineering" played a major role in the growth of cities and infrastructure. The construction of bridges, railways, and skyscrapers allowed for easier transportation and communication, leading to the expansion of cities and the development of new industries. It also improved overall living standards by providing better access to essential services and resources.