Golden coloured paper in Satellites

In summary: The film is also a thermally insulating barrier between the astronauts face and the vacuum of space.The astronauts face shields have a thin gold film on them to protect them from solar and cosmic radiation and as a thermally insulating barrier between the astronauts face and the vacuum of space.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Maybe I'm not able to question about it in english. Hmmm... let's go.

Why are the satellites and their external structures like panels, covered with a golden coloured paper when they are assembled?. Don't laugh at me!. I really never knew the reason. Also, I have seen the research staff of aerospace laboratories being dressed like a surgeon. Why?

Why such isolation measures in assembling processes?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
It's actually gold-infused mylar shielding. It's the same sort of stuff that mylar baloons are made of, but with gold in place of aluminum. The main purpose of the gold foil is to reflect sunlight in order to keep the spacecraft from heating up. It also serves as a rudimentary micrometeoroid shield.

- Warren

Oh, as to your second question: clean rooms are used to prevent contimation of the spacecraft components by dust, hair, natural fibers, fingerprints, etc. It's essentially just a precautionary measure. You don't want to spend millions of dollars launching your satellite only to find out there's a fingerprint on a mirror or a piece of hair snagging a motor.

- Warren

Have you ever seen the people that make computer chips? They dress the same way, and for the same reason. It is to protect the very delicate, sensitive components of the satellite from contamination. Any little bit of dust or moisture (from breath) or microscopic bits of lint from clothing could do serious damage to some systems.

The problem is especially bad when the satelite is being sent to capture and analyze samples, such as rock and soil samples for the Martian Rovers, or samples of solar wind from the Genesis probe. Such probes must be very clean and before they start their collections. If a tiny bit of dried skin or a stray eyelash get into the Mars probes, it would send back readings that positively identify living tissue on the planet!

What Warren said is correct. The stuff is called MLI for multi-layer insulation. In addition to the two purposes he mentioned it also acts as a shield protecting vulnerable metals from degradation by monatomic oxygen which is present in the ionosphere.

Thanks Warren, Lurch and Enigma. I've chosen to quote Lurch:

lurch said:
They dress the same way, and for the same reason. It is to protect the very delicate, sensitive components of the satellite from contamination. Any little bit of dust or moisture (from breath) or microscopic bits of lint from clothing could do serious damage to some systems.

I've seen too some aircraft mechanics working on a F-16 in EADS, and they do not dress in the same way. The F-16 has high delicate electronic components, hasn't it?. Why dust or moisture can damage the systems you talked about? If I take up a transistor and breath near it, it works in the same way than before. About the panels and fingerprints, I understand how embarrassing would be that, Warren :eek: .

It would not be possible to service an F-16 in a cleanroom. The F-16 is already very very dirty from use by the time the aircraft mechanics work on it. To clean it up to cleanroom standards, before even beginning the repairs, would be unduly costly.

- Warren

F-16's run on petroleum, which seems to be somewhat incompatible with anything "clean".

On a side note, the face shields astronauts wear on space walks holds a thin gold film (most likely along many other various coatings). It helps protect the face and eyes from solar and cosmic radiation.

Related to Golden coloured paper in Satellites

1. What is the purpose of using golden coloured paper in satellites?

The golden coloured paper, also known as gold foil, is used in satellites for thermal control. It helps to reflect heat and radiation from the sun, preventing the satellite's components from overheating. It also helps to maintain a stable temperature inside the satellite.

2. How is the golden coloured paper applied on satellites?

The gold foil is typically applied in multiple layers to the external surface of the satellite, using a special adhesive. It is carefully cut and shaped to fit the specific components of the satellite, such as the solar panels and communication antennas.

3. Are there any alternatives to using golden coloured paper in satellites?

There are other materials that can be used for thermal control in satellites, such as white paint or aluminum coating. However, gold foil is the most commonly used material due to its high reflectivity and durability in the harsh conditions of space.

4. Does the golden colour of the paper serve any other purpose?

Aside from its thermal control properties, the golden colour of the paper also helps with visibility and tracking of the satellite. The reflective surface makes it easier to spot and identify the satellite in space, especially for ground control teams.

5. How does the use of golden coloured paper affect the cost of satellites?

The cost of using gold foil in satellites is relatively low compared to other components and materials. It is also a one-time investment, as gold foil has a long lifespan and does not need to be replaced frequently. The benefits of using gold foil outweigh the cost for most satellite missions.