1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Golf ball homework problem

1. Oct 5, 2015 #1
    << Mentor Note -- Thread moved from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >>

Hey guys, could use some insight here...

So this is a basic story problem:

"I paid $22.30 for 6 new golf balls and 10 used balls. If each new ball costs $.65 more than a used ball,how much did I pay for each type of ball?"

I assumed it was as simple as:

10x+6(x+.65)=22.30

But that is apparently incorrect...

I'm banging my head against a wall... maybe the fact that I've been studying for an hour or two straight doesn't help as its psyching me out,but I feel like this is much more difficult then it should be...

My mind is blank right now,what am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why do you say it is incorrect? It looks to me like the correct equation to give the price of a used ball.

4. Oct 5, 2015 #3
    Holy smokey.

Man I need to learn how to take breaks in between studying...

I re-did my equation and came up with the correct answer...

Thanks anyway,haha.

5. Oct 5, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you saying the equation you posted originally is NOT correct? If not, why not?

6. Oct 5, 2015 #5
    No, the equation was correct,as I assumed,but my mind was so fried from studying I forgot to multiply .65 by 6 when distributing...:headbang:

Ah well,thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted