How Much Does Each Golf Ball Cost in This Algebra Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a basic story problem involving the cost of new and used golf balls. The problem is solved using an equation, but the person initially struggles to find the correct answer due to fatigue from studying. Eventually, they realize their mistake and solve the problem correctly.
ProjectTruth
<< Mentor Note -- Thread moved from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >>

Hey guys, could use some insight here...

So this is a basic story problem:

"I paid $22.30 for 6 new golf balls and 10 used balls. If each new ball costs $.65 more than a used ball,how much did I pay for each type of ball?"

I assumed it was as simple as:

10x+6(x+.65)=22.30

But that is apparently incorrect...

I'm banging my head against a wall... maybe the fact that I've been studying for an hour or two straight doesn't help as its psyching me out,but I feel like this is much more difficult then it should be...

My mind is blank right now,what am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you say it is incorrect? It looks to me like the correct equation to give the price of a used ball.

phinds said:
Why do you say it is incorrect? It looks to me like the correct equation to give the price of a used ball.

Holy smokey.

Man I need to learn how to take breaks in between studying...

I re-did my equation and came up with the correct answer...

Thanks anyway,haha.

ProjectTruth said:
Holy smokey.

Man I need to learn how to take breaks in between studying...

I re-did my equation and came up with the correct answer...

Thanks anyway,haha.
Are you saying the equation you posted originally is NOT correct? If not, why not?

phinds said:
Are you saying the equation you posted originally is NOT correct? If not, why not?

No, the equation was correct,as I assumed,but my mind was so fried from studying I forgot to multiply .65 by 6 when distributing...:headbang:

Ah well,thanks again

1. What is the "Golf ball homework problem"?

The "Golf ball homework problem" is a hypothetical scenario often used in physics classrooms to demonstrate the principles of projectile motion. It involves calculating the trajectory and final destination of a golf ball rolling or flying off of a table or platform.

2. How do you solve the "Golf ball homework problem"?

To solve the "Golf ball homework problem", you will need to use the equations for projectile motion, taking into account factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. You may also need to use concepts such as vectors and trigonometry to accurately calculate the final destination of the golf ball.

3. What are the key principles of physics involved in the "Golf ball homework problem"?

The "Golf ball homework problem" involves several key principles of physics, including projectile motion, Newton's laws of motion, and the concept of acceleration due to gravity. It also requires an understanding of vectors, trigonometry, and the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.

4. Why is the "Golf ball homework problem" important to study in physics?

The "Golf ball homework problem" is important to study in physics because it allows students to apply their understanding of key principles to a real-world scenario. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking as students work through the calculations and analyze the results.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the "Golf ball homework problem"?

While the "Golf ball homework problem" is a simplified scenario used for teaching purposes, it does have real-life applications. Understanding projectile motion and the factors that affect it can be useful in fields such as engineering, sports, and even military operations.