Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good and easy mathematical logic book for computer science

1. Apr 4, 2015 #1
    Hello I recently noticed that mathematical logic is related to computer science.
    I haven't studied math in university yet I'm not good at math and Since I'm not a native English speaker some English is hard to me.
    Is there any good and easy book which describes mathematical logic used in computer science?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2015 #2
  4. Apr 4, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Very little mathematical logic is used in computer science, in my experience. The logical operators that are most common are these:
    Not - logical negation of a boolean expression
    And - expr1 "and" expr2 is true if and only if both subexpressions are true
    Or - expr1 "or" expr2 is true if expr1 is true, or if expr2 is true, or if both are true
    Xor (AKA exclusive or) - expr1 "xor" expr2 is true if the two subexpressions have opposite truth values

Most programming languages have these concepts, but they use different symbols. For example, C and the languages based on C use ~ for NOT, && for logical AND, || for logical OR, and ^ for exclusive OR. Newer versions of Fortran use .NOT., .AND., .OR. I don't believe Fortran has an exclusive or operator, per se, but its .NEQV. operator works similarly.

5. Apr 4, 2015 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook