1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity Good Book on GR

1. Nov 14, 2015 #1

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

What is a good book on GR? I have a good amount of experience with SR, and have spent a good deal of time researching GR, from Wikipedia, to PDF's, and youtube videos. I am moderately comfortable with Tensors, but a book that covers them in depth would be nice, not necessary, however. (I can look things up as I go if I run into problems with the maths).

I started reading Øyvind Grøn's book on PDF, is anyone familiar with that?
    Ok, I guess they're lecture notes:
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=øyvind+grøn+GR+PDF

It's been interesting, but I don't know if better material exists. I'm definitely not afraid to struggle, but I think I have a good enough conceptual understanding that if I do struggle, it will be in the maths.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2015 #2
    I'd say Wald's General Relativity and the MTW are great for a mathematically rigorous formulation of GR, although they're a bit old.

4. Nov 14, 2015 #3

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Old just means it will look cooler on my physics/math collection book shelf ;)

5. Nov 14, 2015 #4
    They're fat too (seriously), so you'll have to make quite a bit of space on your shelf.

6. Nov 14, 2015 #5

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Haha, it's mostly empty, thus far. I have about a dozen or a dozen and a half books, so there's more than enough room.

7. Nov 14, 2015 #6
    I would add W. Thirring "Mathematical Physics", volumes 1 and 2 (solid introduction to classical and relativistic field theory in the language of differential forms and manifold calculus). If not as a main resource, than to at least expand/clarify maths in other books. Rather old, but among my all-time favourites.

Plus it has a fair number of problems with solutions.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  8. Nov 14, 2015 #7

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

That sounds great! Is the title simply Mathematical Physics? I can find Quantum Mathematical Physics by Thirring, but can't seem to find MP vol 1 and 2.

9. Nov 14, 2015 #8
    No, sorry. I have assumed that they used titles as in original (German) edition. It's this https://www.amazon.com/Classical-Mathematical-Physics-Dynamical-Theories/dp/0387406158 ; Classical Mathematical Physics, Dynamical Systems and Field Theories. Original four volumes were, as it seems, glued together into Classical (vol 1 and 2) and Quantum (vol 3 and 4) Mathematical Physics. Excuse faulty assumption.

Addendum: It should be worth mentioning that this is quite literally mathematical physics, it is assumed that you know the basics on topics at hand and want to see more in-depth applications of differential geometry, methods of approach and solution of some of the most important cases and such. It's less of a textbook on GR or classical field theory and more of a toolbox for rigorous solutions and mathematics behind them. Featured five-star reviews in the linked Amazon page are very true to what I want to convey.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted